Rail Service Worker
- King County Metro Transit’s Rail division is seeking motivated and enthusiasticRail Service Workers - multiple positions!
Link Light Rail, Metro Transit's Rail Division is responsible for operating and maintaining Link Light Rail service on a 20 plus mile route from the Angle Lake Station south of Sea-Tac Airport to the Northgate station in North Seattle. Plans and/or construction are underway extending the system to the north, east, south, and west. Expansion over the next five years alone will include the addition of more than 20 stations and 40 miles of light rail track. The light rail line is a critical part of the region's transportation network and carries more than 79,000 weekday daily riders.
The Rail Service Worker is primarily responsible for the cleaning and light maintenance of the interior and exterior of Link Light Rail vehicles, shop and yard maintenance and shop equipment. To learn more about the position and see a day in the life of a rail worker see the video here.
This position is considered safety sensitive. Applicants for these positions are required to undergo drug testing prior to employment and subsequent to commencement of employment, will be subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return to duty, and follow-up drug and alcohol testing in compliance with Federal DOT alcohol and controlled substance testing program protocols.
Who May Apply
This position is open to current King County Metro Employees and the general public.
1st shift - $24.70 - $35.29 per hour
2nd shift - $25.94 - $37.05 per hour
3rd shift - $26.55 - $37.94 per hour
This recruitment will be used to fill multiple immediate career service vacancies and may be used to create a pool for future career service (CS), Term-Limited Temporary (TLT), and Special Duty Assignment (SDA) positions that may occur over the next twelve months.
Forms and Materials Required
An on-line King County application and completion of the supplemental questionnaire are required.
This position is paid on an hourly (non-exempt) basis and is therefore eligible for overtime pay if scheduled. The work week and scheduled hours may vary. Rail Service Workers perform work in a24/7 operations environment, employees must be able and willing to work any shift (day, swing, or graveyard). Work shift is subject to change based on seniority bid system and needs of the business. In addition, this position has on-call responsibilities and must respond to emergency situations as needed.
An Employer To Be Proud Of
King County Metro Transit is a regional leader in helping people move quickly throughout the region, reducing commuter stress, greening the environment and radically improving urban air quality, by providing comfortable, effective transit services for the thousands of commuters and other residents of King County, Washington.
Working for King County Metro Transit means working for a leader in this public transportation industry. This is an exciting time for King County Metro Transit; we are expanding service and recently received the 2018 award for the best large transit agency in North America.
King County provides our employees with a free transportation pass (good on most transit systems throughout the Puget Sound region). We offer a benefits package that includes competitive medical, dental and vision benefits for the whole family including state-registered domestic partner, competitive vacation, sick, holiday and executive leave plans, and participation in the State's Public Employees Retirement Plan (PERS) are provided, as well as the option of participating in the County's deferred compensation plan (a 457 plan). For more details, please see the Benefits tab on this posting.
If you have questions about this recruitment, please contact: Travis McKinnon, HR Talent Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Job Duties
Applying equity and social justice principles is a daily responsibility and a foundational expectation for all King County employees. In this role you will apply equity and social justice principles that exemplify shared values, behaviors, and practices to all aspects of the work. You will:
- Clean interior and exterior of Light Rail Vehicles ("LRV") or streetcars by hand washing and steam cleaning, using a variety of solvents, soaps, and cleaning chemicals.
- Report any defects to supervisor, such as defective lights, body damage, interior damage, and operating defects.
- Post, add and subtract the amounts of commodities used in designated logs.
- Move LRVs or streetcars around the shop and yard.
- Remove trash and debris from the LRVs or streetcars.
- Check and replenish consumables such as sand and wiper fluid. Couple and uncouple rail vehicles.
- Maintain shop facilities and/or vehicles following written procedures or as instructed.
- Clean and service shop equipment and/or vehicles.
- Make deliveries or pick up materials.
- Operate computer for related data input and retrieval; may enter transactions and related data into a computer information system.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- One year of professional cleaning experience OR any equivalent combination of experience and education which provides the applicant with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform the work.
- Experience with and knowledge of basic janitorial techniques.
- Knowledge in the use and care of cleaning equipment such as pressure washers, steam cleaners, and scrubbers.
- Knowledge of basic safety rules, practices and principles and applicable OSHA laws. Knowledge in the proper use and disposal of cleaning chemicals.
- Basic knowledge of and skill using current computer software applications for data maintenance such as Maintenance Management Information Systems or equivalent tracking systems.
- Oral and written communication skills including the ability to understand and follow directions.
- Ability to learn and operate LRVs or streetcars in a safe manner. (Training provided. Testing and certification will be required.)
- Skill in using common hand tools, maintenance and/or cleaning equipment. Skill in performing physical labor.
- Accurately performing simple numeric calculations and record keeping tasks. Skill in working under established deadlines.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a diverse group of people.
- Experience with biohazards and human waste.
- Experience performing light maintenance on equipment or similar type work.
- Lift and carry objects up to 50 pounds frequently and occasionally lift objects up to 100 pounds with assistance.
- Frequent walking, reaching, climbing, kneeling and stooping.
- Work in confined spaces and at heights and in cramped and awkward positions.
- Washington State driver's license and an acceptable driving record. (Out of state candidates must obtain their Washington State driver's license prior to hire.)
- Ability to qualify for and maintain a "Yard Only" Rail Operator's Certification.
- Ability to qualify for Right of Way Protection Worker Certification.
- Ability to qualify for forklift certification.
A King County application is required. Applicants should complete the online application at www.kingcounty.gov. If you are unable to apply online, follow the instructions at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs under Application Tips and FAQs.
- Supplemental Information
Applications will be screened for completeness and qualifications. Candidates presenting evidence that they meet or exceed the qualifications noted above may be invited to participate in a panel interview. Employment offers will be finalized only after candidates have successfully completed physical examinations, drug screens and a drug and alcohol background checks. Reference checks and reviews of driving records will also be conducted prior to any final offer of employment.
This position is represented by Amalgamated Transit Union Local 587.
Class Code: 9420100
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers. Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions, please contact your Talent Advisor listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you applying to this position as an eligible current or previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant? Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff? Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff03Are you a current King County Employee?
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County and I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. Additionally, the position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.
04Do you have one year of professional cleaning experience OR any equivalent combination of experience and education that provides you with the desired skills, knowledge and ability required to perform this body of work?
05Indicate which types of tasks you've completed in your professional working experience. Check all that apply
06Please describe your knowledge in the use and care of cleaning equipment such as pressure washers, steam cleaners, and scrubbers. Please type N/A if you do not have experience.07Please describe your knowledge in the proper use and disposal of cleaning chemicals. If none, list N/A.08Have you tested positive, or refused to test, on any pre-employment drug or alcohol test administered by an employer to which you applied, but did not get hired, for safety sensitive transportation work covered by the Department of Transportation drug and alcohol testing rules during the past two years?
- Litter and trash pick-up
- Operate Pressure Washer
- Wet and dry shop vacs
- Graffiti removal
- Worked with other maintenance tools or equipment
- Used common hand tools
- None of the above
09If you answered "Yes" to the previous question, for which employer and when? If not, please answer "N/A."