Senior IT Business Analyst
- This position is open to current KCIT staff onlyYes, this is government, but we'll surprise you in how we break from the stereotypical mold. King County is driving to become the best run government. For King County Information Technology (KCIT) that means pushing the County forward through innovation and a real focus on those who directly use our technologies or indirectly benefit from their use. We’re working to adopt a Scrum/Agile approach to software development and delivery. We're aggressively migrating to the cloud. And we're committed to helping our customers and our constituents get solutions that help them do their job or do life easier. That's where you come in. We are seeking Senior IT BAs to join our team and help the County deliver technology solutions that solve real problems and meet real needs.
We want BAs who like working as detectives, translators, and solution-builders. As detectives, our BAs unearth and investigate business and technology requirements through creative means. As translators, they transform and communicate the stated needs of customers so that they make sense to the technologists who will build or configure and test to them. And as solution-builders, they pave new roads of understanding and convey needs in ways that resonate for technical and non-technical audiences alike.
We’re looking for BAs who’ll thrive working as internal IT consultants and will lead business analysis for a wide range of IT initiatives for our 18 distinct agencies (ranging from Parks, to Transit, Public Health, Public Defense and more). Initiatives may be large, enterprise projects or small, operational improvements that impact major divisions of the County, interaction between the County and regional partners, or services delivered to County constituents. In these roles, the BAs will work closely with customers--public servants who want to solve a challenge or improve a service through technology--and with technologists–our own engineers, SQA, UX, etc. or vendors. Working with these customers and IT, the BAs will develop current and future state operating models, document business requirements, user stories, and acceptance criteria, create use cases, lead user acceptance testing, and support process improvement measurement efforts. Additionally, they’ll be members of Scrum teams, serving either in a Scrum Master, Product Owner, or Delivery Team member (analyst) role. And they will contribute to building our Community of Business Analysis Practice.
Here at KCIT you’ll have the opportunity to maximize your potential, receive recognition for your talents, and do work that has real impact on your community. Ultimately, our focus is on our constituents, people who live and work in King County and who want their government to work for them. If you’re highly driven, customer-obsessed, and solution-oriented, we want you on our team!
King County Department of Information Technology
KCIT is providing the building blocks for many of the region's most critical services. As the business solutions partner, we collaborate with the 18 County departments and agencies to develop products and services that better serve the needs of our customers and our communities. To learn more about KCIT, please visit: http://kingcounty.gov/depts/it.aspx
King County offers a robust benefits package to support you and your family in a variety of ways. To learn more about the benefits offered here, please click on the Benefits tab or click here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
TEMPORARY TELECOMMUTING REQUIREMENT
The work associated with this position will be performed remotely, at least through July 5, 2021 in compliance with King County’s telecommuting mandate. Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Employees must reside in WA state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements. There will be situations where the employee is required to report to a County worksite. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer.
To support employees during this time King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
The normal workweek for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Alternative work schedules may be considered. This position is not eligible for overtime pay.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Shane Dickson at (206) 263-2454 or email@example.com
- Job Duties
- Work with the business manager or sponsor and representatives within teams to analyze business needs and identify the best solutions for those needs
- Lead requirements analysis and verification. Obtain requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, storyboards, surveys, site visits, business process analysis, use cases, scenarios, event lists, or competitive product analysis
- Transform high-level business and user requirements into user stories and acceptance criteria that can used by developers and understood by someone without a technical background
- Represent requirements using alternative views, such as analysis models, prototypes, or scenarios to guide solution finding
- Develop testing plans for end users and collaborate with QA to support end to end testing.
- Analyze strategic business policy initiatives and legislative mandates to ensure solutions support King County goals and related federal/state requirements
- Create business cases and cost/benefit reports to substantiate and defend projects and change initiatives in order to improve business operations
- Set client expectations and educate stakeholders on the benefits of a defined requirements process and/or Scrum/Agile approach
- Proactively initiate the development of alternative service delivery solutions to business challenges based on processes and information technology standards adopted at the enterprise level
- Create business process documentation and operating/workflow models consistent of existing operational processes and future state operations to create improvements and efficiencies
- Establish and implement effective analysis practices and facilitate continuous improvement of a requirements process. Implement ways to reuse requirements across projects/products
- Conduct change impact analysis by identifying key stakeholders and assessing the level of change key stakeholders are experiencing
- Contribute to the Business Analysis Community of Practice
- Mentor and model methodologies, techniques, and behaviors for the journey business analyst
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, business administration, computer science or related field and 5+ years of relevant technical business analyst experience OR any combination of relevant experience/education/training that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the work.
- Demonstrated experience in the business analyst role supporting software development projects and business solutions
- Demonstrated experience leading analysis efforts directly with the business (e.g. in an IT consultant capacity)
- Skill in learning on the fly
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Skill in researching strategic issues, providing analysis, problem solving and recommending emerging technologies
- Expertise in facilitation, documentation, solution modeling, business problem definition, and analysis approach development
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers, and subject matter experts
- Skill in conveying technical information to non-technical users
- Skill in documenting requirements at both a strategic and tactical level
- Skill in aligning technical solutions and features to requirements and tracing/monitoring the fulfillment of requirements
- Skill in using data and information to assess and understand issues, evaluate options, form accurate conclusions, and make decisions
- Ability to facilitate discussions employing techniques that help group members discover and develop insights and remain engaged with the task.
- Skill in effectively organizing multiple assignments, sometimes of a difficult nature or involving competing priorities, to produce work products that are accurate, thorough, and on time.
- Skill in using MS Office 365 suite and Azure DevOps or other requirements management/Scrum/Agile software.
- Completion of certification of ECBA, CCBA or CBAP.
- Completion of CSM, CSPO, and/or SAFe or another Scrum or Agile certification.
- Change Management certification, formal training or experience
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
A completed King County Application, resume and cover letter are required for consideration. If these items are not included your application will not be considered.
This position is open to current KCIT staff only
Union Status: This position is non-represented
(For internal use only: Classification: IT Business Analyst - Sr. - 2460200)
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01This position is open to Internal King County Information Technology (KCIT) Employees Only. Only current KCIT Employees' applications will be considered. Are you a current KCIT employee?
02Did you attach the required documents?
-Cover Letter detailing how you meet or exceed the required knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position, and your experience as it relates to the primary job functions and desired qualifications.
03Do you have a LinkedIn profile? If so, please provide the URL to your profile here.04Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
05If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.