Sitecore Solutions Architect
Software Engineering is looking for a proven Sitecore architect who can quickly guide, establish and implement a multifaceted initiative to upgrade our kingcounty.gov website and establish the foundation to deliver innovation in an Azure PaaS environment.
Software Engineering is the central King County software development arm of KCIT and is responsible for setting the technology architecture and direction as well as upgrading and maintaining major software systems. King County Information Technology supports broad lines of business – including healthcare, transportation, natural resources and justice systems. As a member of the Software Engineering team you will define the strategy, architecture and practices for Sitecore and web content management. This role designs and delivers innovative architectural solutions for King County, establishing and maintaining standards and solutions that provide measurable improvement towards KCIT’s strategic plan. This position will focus on Sitecore content management, but you may also be involved in multiple systems across all of King County’s lines of business.
This role requires a strong team player who has Sitecore, C# and Azure application development and delivery experience and can provide leadership and vision through development of new technologies, patterns and work processes. Leveraging Sitecore, Azure and Microsoft technologies, you will be expected to provide expertise in architecture, design, development and testing, best practices and methodologies. You will engage in and facilitate conceptual design sessions - discussing proposed technology solutions insuring they scale, are supportable and meet business objectives and strategy. Working with senior leadership, you will articulate opportunities, costs and risks associated with decisions made around the platform architecture and implementation.
This is a technical expert position that guides backend developers and other multi-disciplined team members on advanced issues and leads by first implementing new technologies and processes. You will be designing and guiding development of solutions and helping to solve complex problems.
As the only county in the United States named after Martin Luther King Jr, one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nations' history, King County is a vibrant community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the artistic and social traditions of many cultures. Together, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. We continue to build on an enduring legacy of shared values of equity and social justice, employee engagement, innovative thinking and continuous improvement. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda aimed at advancing regional change and is developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents, regardless of their race or income. All of these qualities make this King County one of the nation's best places to live, work, and play.
King County Department of Information Technology
KCIT is providing the building blocks for many of the region's most critical services. As the business solutions partner, we collaborate with the 18 County departments to develop products and services that better serve the needs of our customers and our community. To learn more about KCIT, please visit: http://kingcounty.gov/depts/it.aspx
King County offers a robust benefits package to support you and your family in a variety of ways. To learn more about the benefits offered here, please click on the Benefits tab or click here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
The primary location of this position is the Chinook Building 401 5th Ave S Seattle WA, 98103. During the mandatory telecommute order through January 8, 2021, work will be done remotely. Please note that we are open to this position being permanently remote.
This position is estimated for a duration of 3 years.
The normal workweek for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Alternative work schedules may be considered. This position is not eligible for overtime pay.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Shannon Hoeper, firstname.lastname@example.org or 206-263-6957
- Job Duties
- Develop, conduct and maintain architecture, strategy, models, road maps and policies for Sitecore, content management, cloud and mobile application practice, including application development languages and frameworks and hybrid or cross-over technologies, products, patterns to share or integrate development between web, mobile and other enterprise platforms.
- Develop and deploy multi-site content management solutions using Sitecore and modern technologies such as C#, client-side-side code and HTML5 in an Azure public cloud – including continuous integration & continuous deployment tools and processes.
- Create reference implementations and reusable components/frameworks.
- Research and develop application patterns based on industry conventions, best practices and the needs of the business.
- Work with Portfolio Management and other architects to communicate and enforce adoption of Enterprise strategies, patterns and standards.
- Lead technical teams to design and implement highly reliable, scalable, extensible and maintainable content management products and platforms.
- Collaborate, lead and review the team's (design, front and backend) work across all phases (Plan, Analyze, Design, Build and Test).
- Work closely with product management and development teams to define the next generation of product offerings.
- Take responsibility for various initiatives, including effort/work estimation, planning, partner management and group management.
- Work, build and maintain strong working relationships with multiple functional teams across the organization.
- Provide education, support and leadership to existing developers in architecting and developing content management applications and solutions.
- Facilitate the communication and interaction amongst leadership, team members and other parties to achieve business and technology goals.
- Identify services, tools and processes that will improve performance, enhance support and increase capabilities.
- Be a solution innovator for greater business efficiency and effectiveness while keeping within the context of the broader King County technology architecture. Research and procure technology tools.
- Engage vendor services as necessary including research, selection, contract negotiation, and oversight. Participate in various enterprise initiatives as well as technology governance.
- Provide architecture quality assurance reviews for proposals and ongoing efforts and engagements.
- Participate in Architecture Review Board and project design and code reviews.
- Participate in the collection and reporting of metrics to assist in the continuous evolution of our technology capabilities.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Strong familiarity with Azure Compute and Serverless services including Azure DevLabs, Virtual Machines, App Service, Azure Functions, and Azure Data services: Azure SQL Database, Cosmos DB.
- Understanding of Platform as a Service, Infrastructure as a Service, Infrastructure as Code and related concepts on public cloud.
- 3+ years of proven experience with DevOps principles and practices.
- 3+ years of proven experience as a technical lead delivering development focused Sitecore solutions within defined timeframes.
- Knowledge and experience in developing software using agile methodologies (ie: scrum).
- Experience in defining new Sitecore and content management architectures and ability to drive an independent project from an architectural standpoint.
- Proven ability to deploy consistent Sitecore and content management standards and designs across multiple lines of business.
- Demonstrated excellence in communicating and presenting complex information, including the ability to explain and "sell" the purpose, goals and objectives to technical and non-technical audiences, both verbally and in written form.
- Proven ability to mentor and lead staff fostering a diverse and inclusive culture.
- Strong analytical and strategic skills; ability to synthesize complex information and influence decision makers turning strategy into action.
- Sitecore Certified (v8, 9) preferred
- Sitecore MVP
- Demonstrated experience with advanced search and multi-language concepts and implementations with Sitecore.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Management of Information Systems or related discipline or the equivalent combination of education and experience, and 5+ years of increasingly responsible Sitecore, content management system, cloud, mobile development and architecture experience.
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
A completed King County Application with an attached resume is required for consideration. We highly recommend that you also provide a cover letter.
In addition to filling the current vacancy, this position may be used to fill future vacancies.
Union: This position is represented by Protec17
(For internal use only: Classification: Solution Architect Technology - 7370100)
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you authorized to work in the United States?
02Does your authorization require sponsorship now or in the future from an employer or other source? (This does not preclude you from being considered for this position.)
03Which of the following best describes your response to the following question: Are you applying to this position as a Priority Placement Program Participant and is this position the same or lower percentage of FT and do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
04If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.