Solid Waste Preventative Maintenance Specialist (Oiler)
King County Solid Waste Division is currently recruiting to fill two (2) vacant Career Service (Regular) positions and may create a list of competitive candidates to fill similar vacancies that may occur. The position safely and efficiently provides service for a wide variety of vehicles, heavy equipment, and machinery, while accurately maintaining records and monitoring and performing preventative maintenance procedures.
WHO MAY APPLY: These positions are open to all qualified applicants. King County and The Solid Waste Division (SWD) values diverse perspectives and life experiences and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply.
WORK LOCATION: Cedar Hills Regional Landfill, 16645 228th Avenue SE, Maple Valley, WA.
WORK SCHEDULE: These positions work a 40-hour workweek and are overtime eligible with prior Supervisor approval. These positions may be required to work alternate work schedules to support core service hours. Service hours are weekdays 6am-11pm, and weekends 6am-4:30pm. Evening and weekend work may be required.
FORMS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED: All candidates must submit King County Online Application showing how your experience qualifies you for the position including responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
SELECTION PROCESS: Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness, and technical qualifications. The most competitive candidates may be invited to a skills test and panel interview.
OPERATIONS SECTION PROFILE: Operations section of King County Solid Waste Division is comprised of several groups - transfer, transport, shop, landfill operations, and wastewater and landfill gas - that operate a transfer and disposal system that meets or exceeds the highest standards for protection of public health and the environment. Commercial garbage collection companies and residential and business self-haulers bring waste to the transfer facilities, where it is loaded into large transfer trailers that are hauled to the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill for disposal.
- Job Duties
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Perform preventative maintenance and safety inspections on vehicles, equipment and machinery.
• Perform lubrication duties, select appropriate lubricants for machinery, including oil servicing,
greasing, oil changes, filter changes and oil flow rate adjustment
• Research and document differences in machinery lubrication and filtration systems, recommend improvements and modifications, develop procedures for lubrication functions.
• Process oil samples for various lubrication and hydraulic systems for analysis, track and files.
• Maintain multiple oil supply rooms and collection sites.
• Fuel, pressure wash, hand wash, steam clean vehicles, trailers and equipment.
• Perform light-duty mechanical maintenance on vehicles and heavy equipment which may include:
o Install and service batteries;• Change, rotate, repair and balance tires on County vehicles.
o Adjust brakes;
o Replace air cleaners and light bulbs;
o Check air pressure and adjust as needed;
o Repair tubes and other mechanical parts in vehicles and equipment;
o Clean windshields;
o Replace wiper blades;
o Troubleshoot and isolate machinery noise, vibrations and temperature increases in bearings.
• Enter and maintain service records and logs in a system database which includes opening and closing work orders.
• Pick up and deliver parts and materials as needed.
• Respond to ice, flooding, snow emergencies for vehicles on the road and perform services as listed above.
• Provide support service to the Heavy Duty Mechanics, as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
• Recent preventive maintenance work experience in an automotive or heavy equipment service or repair shop which will give adequate skills for the performance of the position
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience of general lubrication requirements
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience of tire safety characteristics
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience in the use of basic hand and air tools
• Working knowledge on a variety of motorized vehicles (e.g. Light vehicles, Heavy Duty vehicles, and construction type equipment)
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team
• Demonstrated ability to follow and provide written and oral instructions
• Demonstrated ability to use computer to input and retrieve data
• Skill in dealing tactfully and courteously with co-workers and customers
• Skill in distinguishing different types of oils and lubricants
• Skill in basic mathematics
• Skill in driving a variety of oversized vehicles and equipment
• Skill in organizing and prioritizing work
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time, climb on equipment or use a Versa Lift and pressure wash for extended periods of time with pressures up to 5000 PSI. Requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of equipment and tools. Requires the ability to work on uneven grades, slopes, surfaces, and terrain in inclement weather and other adverse conditions such as dust, odor, high volume noise and heavy traffic. There may be periods of sustained physical effort.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:• Drug and Physical Testing: This position(s) is defined as safety sensitive and as such, selected candidates will be required to undergo drug and alcohol testing prior to employment and, subsequent to commencement of employment will be subject to random, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return to duty and follow up testing. The selected candidate will be required to pass a physical examination.
• Candidates must possess a valid Washington State driver's license upon hire.
• Candidates must possess either a valid Class "A" or Class "B" Commercial driver's license upon hire with valid medical card.
- Supplemental Information
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position will be represented by International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 302.
CONTACT INFORMATION: If you have any questions about this position, please contact Roxanne Malatesta, Human Resources Analyst at 206-477-5210 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org OR Jemima McMahon, Human Resources Analyst at 206-477-4002 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference. Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
02If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff03Do you currently possess either a valid Class "A" or Class "B" Commercial driver's license upon hire with valid medical card?
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.
04How many years of recent work experience do you have in an automotive or heavy equipment or repair shop? NOTE: Your application materials must demonstrate experience in these areas and the number of years experience.
05If you selected a number of years experience above, list the area(s) and name of employer(s) where you have work experience requiring knowledge in this area. Do not write "see application", as it will be considered an incomplete response.06Do you have experience requiring knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions in an environment which includes construction and/or a maintenance shop?
- More than 0, but less than 1 year of experience
- At least 1, but no more than 2 years
- At least 2, but no more than 3 years
- At least 3, but no more than 4 years
- 4 or more years
- No experience
07If you selected "Yes" above, list name of employer(s) where you have work experience requiring knowledge in this area. If you selected "No," then insert "N/A." Do not write, "see application", as it will be considered an incomplete response.08Do you have experience following general lubrication requirements of automotive or heavy machinery?
09If you selected "Yes" above, list the automotive or heavy machinery lubrication and name of employer(s) requiring knowledge in this area. If you selected "No," then insert "N/A." Do not write, "see application", as it will be considered an incomplete response.10This position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time, climb on equipment or use a Versa Lift and pressure wash for extended periods of time with pressures up to 5000 PSI. Requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of equipment and tools. Requires the ability to work on uneven grades, slopes, surfaces, and terrain in inclement weather and other adverse conditions such as dust, odor, high volume noise and heavy traffic. There may be periods of sustained physical effort. Are you able to work in these conditions?
11This position is required to work alternate work schedules to support core service hours. Service hours are weekdays 6am-11pm, and weekends 6am-4:30pm. Evening and weekend work may be required. Are you available to work ALL SHIFTS listed on the job posting?
12Did you hear this position advertised on KXPA, KRIZ or KYIZ radio?
13If yes, please check the box of the radio station you heard the advertisement for this position.