Solid Waste Preventive Maintenance Specialist (Working Title: Oiler)King County
King County Solid Waste Division is currently recruiting to fill a vacant Career Service (Regular) position and may create a list of competitive candidates to fill similar vacancies that may occur. The position safely and efficiently provides service for a wide variety of vehicles, heavy equipment, and machinery, while accurately maintaining records and monitoring and performing preventative maintenance procedures.
WHO MAY APPLY: This position is open to all qualified applicants. King County and The Solid Waste Division (SWD) values diverse perspectives and life experiences and encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, and veterans.
WORK LOCATION: Cedar Hills Regional Landfill, 16645 228th Avenue SE, Maple Valley, WA.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position works a 40-hour workweek and is overtime eligible with prior Supervisor approval. This position may be required to work alternate work schedules to support core service hours. Service hours are weekdays 6am-11pm, and weekends 6am-4:30pm. Evening and weekend work may be required.
FORMS AND MATERIALS REQUIRED: All candidates must submit King County Online Application showing how your experience qualifies you for the position including responses to the supplemental questionnaire.
SELECTION PROCESS: Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness, and technical qualifications. The most competitive candidates may be invited to a skills test and panel interview.
OPERATIONS SECTION PROFILE: Operations section of King County Solid Waste Division is comprised of several groups - transfer, transport, shop, landfill operations, and wastewater and landfill gas - that operate a transfer and disposal system that meets or exceeds the highest standards for protection of public health and the environment. Commercial garbage collection companies and residential and business self haulers bring waste to the transfer facilities, where it is loaded into large transfer trailers that are hauled to the Cedar Hills Regional Landfill for disposal.
CONTACT INFORMATION: If you have any questions about this position, please contact Jemima McMahon, Human Resources Analyst via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org OR Roxanne Malatesta, Human Resources Analyst via e-mail at email@example.com.
EXAMPLES OF JOB DUTIES:
Duties include but are not limited to:
• Perform preventative maintenance and safety inspections on vehicles, equipment and machinery.
• Perform lubrication duties, select appropriate lubricants for machinery, including oil servicing,
greasing, oil changes, filter changes and oil flow rate adjustment
• Research and document differences in machinery lubrication and filtration systems, recommend improvements and modifications, develop procedures for lubrication functions.
• Process oil samples for various lubrication and hydraulic systems for analysis, track and files.
• Maintain multiple oil supply rooms and collection sites.
• Fuel, pressure wash, hand wash, steam clean vehicles, trailers and equipment.
• Perform light-duty mechanical maintenance on vehicles and heavy equipment which may include:
o Install and service batteries;
o Adjust brakes;
o Replace air cleaners and light bulbs;
o Check air pressure and adjust as needed;
o Repair tubes and other mechanical parts in vehicles and equipment;
o Clean windshields;
o Replace wiper blades;
o Troubleshoot and isolate machinery noise, vibrations and temperature increases in bearings.
• Change, rotate, repair and balance tires on County vehicles.
• Enter and maintain service records and logs in a system database which includes opening and closing work orders.
• Pick up and deliver parts and materials as needed.
• Respond to ice, flooding, snow emergencies for vehicles on the road and perform services as listed above.
• Provide support service to the Heavy Duty Mechanics, as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS:
• Recent preventive maintenance work experience in an automotive or heavy equipment service or repair shop which will give adequate skills for the performance of the position
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience of general lubrication requirements
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience of tire safety characteristics
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience in the use of basic hand and air tools
• Working knowledge on a variety of motorized vehicles (e.g. Light vehicles, Heavy Duty vehicles, and construction type equipment)
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a member of a team
• Demonstrated ability to follow and provide written and oral instructions
• Demonstrated ability to use computer to input and retrieve data
• Skill in dealing tactfully and courteously with co-workers and customers
• Skill in distinguishing different types of oils and lubricants
• Skill in basic mathematics
• Skill in driving a variety of oversized vehicles and equipment
• Skill in organizing and prioritizing work
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: This position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time, climb on equipment or use a Versalift and pressure wash for extended periods of time with pressures up to 5000 PSI. Requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of equipment and tools. Requires the ability to work on uneven grades, slopes, surfaces, and terrain in inclement weather and other adverse conditions such as dust, odor, high volume noise and heavy traffic. There may be periods of sustained physical effort.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Candidates must possess a valid Washington State driver's license upon hire.
• Candidates must possess either a valid Class "A" or Class "B" Commercial driver's license upon hire with valid medical card.
• Applicants for positions defined as safety sensitive are required to undergo the following tests:
o a physical examination and drug and alcohol testing prior to employment
o Subsequent to start of employment, post-accident, reasonable suspicion, return to duty, and follow up testing may be required.
Once a conditional offer of employment has been made, being hired will be contingent on passing all requirements outlined for safety sensitive positions, which include
satisfactory supervisor level reference checks, physical exam, drug and alcohol testing and upon verification of a valid Washington State Drivers License.
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position will be represented by International Union of Operating Engineers, Local 302.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Do you currently possess either a valid Class "A" or Class "B" Commercial driver's license upon hire with valid medical card?
02How many years of recent work experience do you have in an automotive or heavy equipment or repair shop? The number of years experience you select should be reflected on your application.
03If you selected a number of years experience above, list the area(s) and name of employer(s) where you have work experience requiring knowledge in this area. Do not write "see resume", as it will be considered an incomplete response.04Do you have experience requiring knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions in an environment which includes construction and/or a maintenance shop?
- More than 0, but less than 1 year of experience
- At least 1, but no more than 2 years
- At least 2, but no more than 3 years
- At least 3, but no more than 4 years
- 4 or more years
- No experience
05If you selected "Yes" above, list name of employer(s) where you have work experience requiring knowledge in this area. If you selected "No," then insert "N/A." Do not write, "see resume", as it will be considered an incomplete response.06Do you have experience following general lubrication requirements of automotive or heavy machinery?
07If you selected "Yes" above, list the automotive or heavy machinery lubrication and name of employer(s) requiring knowledge in this area. If you selected "No," then insert "N/A." Do not write, "see resume", as it will be considered an incomplete response.08This position requires the ability to stand for extended periods of time, climb on equipment or use a Versalift and pressure wash for extended periods of time with pressures up to 5000 PSI. Requires the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds of equipment and tools. Requires the ability to work on uneven grades, slopes, surfaces, and terrain in inclement weather and other adverse conditions such as dust, odor, high volume noise and heavy traffic. There may be periods of sustained physical effort. Are you able to work in these conditions?
09This position is required to work alternate work schedules to support core service hours. Service hours are weekdays 6am-11pm, and weekends 6am-4:30pm. Evening and weekend work may be required. Are you available to work ALL SHIFTS listed on the job posting?