Solutions Data Architect
As a Solutions Architect, analyze requirements, perform assessment, design and develop solutions that helps business to support customer integration needs. Work with agency point of contacts to gather requirements to develop data models that can cater data needs for the agencies. Develop current state architecture and develop future state blueprints.
As the only county in the United States named after Martin Luther King Jr, one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nations' history, King County is a vibrant community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the artistic and social traditions of many cultures. Together, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. We continue to build on an enduring legacy of shared values of equity and social justice, employee engagement, innovative thinking and continuous improvement. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda aimed at advancing regional change and is developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all residents, regardless of their race or income. These qualities make King County one of the nation's best places to live, work, and play.
King County Department of Information Technology
KCIT is providing the building blocks for many of the region's most critical services. As the business solutions partner, we collaborate with the 18 County departments and agencies to develop products and services that better serve the needs of our customers and our communities. To learn more about KCIT, please visit: http://kingcounty.gov/depts/it.aspx
King County offers a robust benefits package to support you and your family in a variety of ways. To learn more about the benefits offered here, please click on the Benefits tab or click here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
TEMPORARY TELECOMMUTING REQUIREMENT
The work associated with this position will be performed remotely, at least through July 5, 2021 in compliance with King County’s telecommuting mandate. Employees will be provided with a County issued laptop and must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during scheduled work hours. Employees must reside in WA state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements. There will be situations where the employee is required to report to a County worksite. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer.
To support employees during this time King County has a robust collection of tools and resources to support working remotely. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint.
Please note that there may be occasional on-site visits as needed.
The normal workweek for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Alternative work schedules may be considered. This position is not eligible for overtime pay.
This position is expected to last for 3 years.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Shane Dickson at (206) 263-2454 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Duties
- Work with business users, peer architects, service owners, and other technical staff to translate business requirements into long-term information/data architecture design and solutions including conceptual, logical, and physical models.
- Lead complex reporting requirements gathering sessions and work closely with solution architect in the domain.
- Gather and document data inventory requirements from agency point of contacts. Prioritize list of reports by working closely with partner teams.
- Work with solutions owners to document type of data and maintain artifacts (data models, data flows, data dictionaries, ETL transformation logic, etc.). Work on a long term strategy by develop current state, future state blueprint and roadmaps
- Service as a single point of contact for data inventory needs and provide data specification for complex, high impact data projects.
- Work effectively both as a team player and individually with technical and non-technical team members and customers
- Can exercise independent judgement and takes lead role on enterprise data projects with minimal direction from services manager.
- Can effectively facilitate Joint Application Development (JAD) meetings, demonstrate brainstorming/consensus building skills, and interact with executive level project sponsors
- Work with information security office to ensure right data is exposed to right users.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative/technical field or equivalent experience (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering)
- 7+ years of hands on prior experience in architecting complex data solutions from heterogeneous sources using cloud based data platform e.g. Azure etc.
- 4+ years of experience in building blueprints and is familiar with data warehouse design (Star Schema, Snowflake schema) and normalization
- 4+ years of relevant experience in one of the following areas: Data engineering or Modern Data Warehousing architectures
- 3+ years of hands-on experience architecting complex data platform solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with customers to develop solutions
- Understanding of industry standards for data security and privacy
- Understanding of industry standards for data security and privacy
- Experience with databases such as Oracle, Access etc.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure services including BLOB, Data Lake, SQL Server database, Azure Synapse and Azure Data Bricks
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
A completed King County Application, resume, and cover letter are required for consideration.
The recruitment for this position is open to all qualified candidates.
Out of state employment is not being offered at this time.
This position is expected to last 3 years.
Union Status: This position is represented Protec17.
This recruitment may be used to fill additional vacancies for up to 6 months.
For internal use only: Classification: Solutions Data Architect - 7370200)
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you authorized to work in the United States?
02Does your authorization require sponsorship now or in the future from an employer or other source? (This does not preclude you from being considered for this position.)
03This position requires a thorough background investigation process, including checking references. This also includes fingerprinting. Are you willing to undergo a background investigation process as described above?
04Did you attach the required documents?
-Cover Letter detailing how you meet or exceed the required knowledge, skills, and abilities of the position, and your experience as it relates to the primary job functions and desired qualifications.
05Are you applying to this position as an eligible Current or Previous King County Employee Priority Placement Program Participant AND Is this position the same or lower percentage of full-time when compared to the position held at the point of the notification of layoff AND Do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
06If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.