- King County District Court ProfileKing County District Court is the largest court of limited jurisdiction in the State of Washington and is currently responsible for processing approximately 200,000+ matters per year with 25 judges and approximately 260 employees in 8 locations. The Court is a leader in many areas involving public safety and access to justice, including the use of problem-solving courts, jail alternative programs, technology and judge-managed probation services. Twelve cities contract with King County for court services that are provided by the Court.
Position SummaryThe Systems Engineer will serve as a Technical Expert on our team responsible for the engineering, integration and implementation of projects related to one or more technical large-scale high-available systems, such as servers for large systems, data storage devices, systems software, operating systems, security, databases, recovery, storage and applications. This position will report to the King County District Court Director of Information Technology.
- Job Duties
- Create technical specifications for projects, project plans, schedules and cost-benefit analysis in the evaluation and recommendation of new systems and upgrades.
- Provide systems engineering services as contracted in service level agreements, meeting agreed upon performance measures.
- Improve the user experience using different monitoring and systems performance tools and provide escalated problem resolution for internal and external customers.
- Design and implement test environments and perform first implementation of systems for sufficient capacity and fault tolerance.
- Create and implement backup-and-restore procedures.
- Consult on and implement disaster recovery plans and ensure disaster recovery is in place.
- Create technical analysis, performance and enhancement reports.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Bachelor's degree in a related field of study, or an equivalent combination of education and demonstrated experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the responsibilities of the job.
- Four or more years of progressively responsible experience in a similar position.
- Three or more years of direct customer interaction with demonstrated ability to effectively convey complex or technical information to non-technical end users.
- Advanced knowledge of one or more large impact systems listed within the “Technologies” section below, servers, operating systems, systems software, security, databases, recovery, storage and/or applications.
- Demonstrated ability to create detailed technical specifications, documentation and reports.
- Advanced knowledge and deep experience in information technology operations, change and configuration management.
- Demonstrated ability to implement high-availability systems, including load balancing, failover, and clustering.
- OS: Windows server, Some Linux knowledge
- Web engine: IIS, Tomcat Apache
- Switches: Cisco, Brocade
- Databases: MS SQL, MySQL
- Virtualization: Hyper-V, VMware
- Storage: NetApp, DELL, EMC, others
- Scripting: PowerShell, Python, others
- Administration tools: AD, SCCM, OpManager, Veeam
- Applications: MS Office, Adobe, Java
- Network/Security: DNS, FTP, HTTP, ICMP, IMAP, IPSec, IPv4, IPv6, NTP, RADIUS, SNMP, SMTP, SSH, SSL/TLS, XML, WAP, NAT, VLAN
- Supplemental Information
- Selection process: Application materials will be screened for qualifications; the most competitive candidates will be invited for one or more panel interviews. Any employment offer will be contingent upon the results of a criminal background investigation and finger printing.
- Additional materials required: A resume and a cover letter/letter of interest summarizing how you meet the listed experience, knowledge, skills and abilities for this position.
- Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, talk or hear, and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and move and/or lift up to 10 pounds.
- Working Conditions: Work is typically performed in an office environment with a moderate amount of noise (computers, printers, light traffic). This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
- Work schedule: Regular, working a 40-hour workweek. After hours, on-call support is required.
- Work location: Seattle, Washington - King County Courthouse, 516 3rd Ave., Seattle, WA 98104. This position will be in telecommute status until further notice from the Court. While in telecommute status, employees must maintain a workspace with an internet connection where they can reliably perform work and remain available and responsive during regular work hours. Employees must reside in WA State and within a commuting distance to the King County Courthouse to meet sporadic workplace reporting requirements.
If you have any questions regarding this position or application process, please contact Erika Yanak at 206-477-0320 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Systems Engineer” within the subject line.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.