Systems Engineer Senior
Are you looking for a career with excellent benefits in a position that makes a difference in your community? Yes, this is government, but we'll surprise you in how we break from the stereotypical mold. King County is driving to become the best run government. For King County Information Technology (KCIT) that means pushing the County forward through innovation and a real focus on those who directly use our technologies or indirectly benefit from their use. Join us as we transform and raise the bar on what technology looks like in the public sector!
KCIT is seeking a Systems Engineer Senior to join our Data Services team. In this role, you are responsible for interfacing with architects and business analysts to gather requirements and develop ETL (Extract Transform And Load) pipelines for data integration, data warehousing, data migration, identity matching and data quality solutions using Microsoft Azure platform, SQL, Informatica cloud, Python and R.
As the only county in the United States named after Martin Luther King Jr, one of the most influential civil rights leaders in our nations' history, King County is a vibrant community with residents that represent countries from around the world. It is a region with increasing diversity that cherishes the artistic and social traditions of many cultures. Together, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. We continue to build on an enduring legacy of shared values of equity and social justice, employee engagement, innovative thinking and continuous improvement. With this commitment, King County has adopted a pro-equity agenda aimed at advancing regional change and is developing the systems and standards necessary to achieve better outcomes for all of our residents, regardless of their race or income. All of these qualities make this King County one of the nation's best places to live, work, and play.
King County Department of Information Technology
KCIT is providing the building blocks for many of the region's most critical services. As the business solutions partner, we collaborate with the 18 County departments to develop products and services that better serve the needs of our customers and our community. To learn more about KCIT, please visit: http://kingcounty.gov/depts/it.aspx
King County offers a robust benefits package to support you and your family in a variety of ways. To learn more about the benefits offered here, please click on the Benefits tab or click here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/employees/.
The primary location of this position is the Chinook Building 401 5th Ave S Seattle WA, 98103. During the mandatory telecommute order through January 8, 2021, work will be done remotely. Please note that there may be occassional on site visits as needed.
The normal workweek for this position is Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Alternative work schedules may be considered. This position is not eligible for overtime pay.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment, please contact Shannon Hoeper, email@example.com or 206-263-6957
- Job Duties
- Interfacing with architects and analysts to design and develop reliable and secure data integration, identity matching and data quality pipelines
- Identify data quality issues across various platfroms using complex Sql queries
- Implementing and supporting a platform that can provide ad-hoc access to large datasets
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Interfacing with business customers, gathering requirements and design business requirements document for identity matching and data integration projects
- Performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement
- Extracting and combining data from various heterogeneous data sources using Informatica cloud and developing new datasets in Microsoft Azure environment
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Bachelor's degree or higher in a quantitative/technical field or equivalent experience (e.g. Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering)
- 2+ years of relevant experience in Informatica Cloud
- 3+ years of relevant experience in one of the following areas: ETL development using SSIS, Identity Matching, Data Quality, Data engineering
- 3+ years of hands-on experience in writing complex, highly-optimized queries across large data sets
- 1+ years of experience in Microsoft Azure Data Platform (Data Lake, Synapse Analytics, BLOB and Polybase)
- 1+ years of experience in scripting languages like Python etc.
- Prior experience in public sector and/or a desire to work in public service
- Experience in consulting with customers for support needs
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Proven ability and experience providing excellent customer service
- Strong analytical and strategic skills; ability to synthesize complex information and influence decision makers turning strategy into action
- Certification in data integration or data quality technologies
- Experience with Informatica Data Quality, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, etc.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure services including BLOB, Data Lake, SQL Server database and SQL Data Warehouse
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact your recruiter listed on this job announcement.
A completed King County Application with an attached resume is required for consideration. We highly recommend that you also provide a cover letter.
In addition to filling the current vacancy, this position may be used to fill future vacancies.
Union Status: This position is represented by Protec17
(For internal use only: Classification: Systems Engineer Senior - 7313300)
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you authorized to work in the United States?
02Does your authorization require sponsorship now or in the future from an employer or other source? (This does not preclude you from being considered for this position.)
03Which of the following best describes your response to the following question: Are you applying to this position as a Priority Placement Program Participant and is this position the same or lower percentage of FT and do you possess the skills and abilities to qualify for this position?
04If you answered yes to the question above and you are applying for this position as a Priority Placement Participant, to be considered, you must provide the following three pieces of information in the space provided: 1. The title you held when you received your layoff notice 2. The department you worked in 3. The effective date of your layoff
- Yes, I was given a layoff notice from my role at King County AND I am within two years of the effective date of my layoff. AND The position I was laid off from was the same or a higher percentage of FT status when compared to this one.