Wastewater Treatment Operator/Senior Operator (South Plant- Day Ops)
WHO MAY APPLY: This position is open to all qualified applicants. Please note that first priority will be given to S.E.I.U., Wastewater Local 925 transfer, and internal candidates.
The responsibilities of this classification include operating, monitoring and maintaining wastewater treatment and odor control equipment, systems and processes in a wastewater (primary and secondary) treatment facility and/or the collection and conveyance systems. Responsibilities may also include coordinating, training and providing technical expertise to other wastewater treatment operations staff and coordinating on-site responses to unusual occurrences and emergencies.
WORK SCHEDULE: The treatment plants are operated 24/7. Applicants must be available to work any and all assigned shift schedules. Day Operations work a 4 x 10 schedule, Monday- Thursday. This position is overtime eligible.
The Wastewater Treatment Division is committed to the principles of equity and social justice. We value diverse perspectives and life experiences in our workforce and are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. WTD strives to provide equitable services to residents and businesses across King County.
- Job Duties
- Operate, monitor and maintain wastewater and odor control equipment and facilities.
- Operate, monitor and maintain biological, chemical, mechanical and hydraulic processes at wastewater treatment plants, collection system pump and regulator stations and associated facilities.
- Conduct sampling and test analysis of wastewater and recommend changes to process to meet federal and Washington State permits and regulations and to optimize wastewater plant performance.
- Train others on site-specific areas or through on the job training.
- Perform maintenance on wastewater treatment plant and associated facilities, including building equipment, and grounds. Duties include cleaning, servicing operating equipment, mowing lawns and performing housekeeping tasks.
- Communicate with the public, construction personnel, consultants, and engineers to resolve complaints, provide construction assistance, give tours and carry out related duties.
- Exchange information on wastewater operations, maintenance and processes with staff involved in process control, maintenance, facilities services, off-site facilities services and other areas.
- Respond to unusual occurrences and assist in emergency responses.
- Operate, monitor and control wastewater equipment and systems using complex computer systems.
- Record technical data and daily activities on logs
- Be available to work all shift schedules
- Be on call to respond to unusual occurrences and emergencies
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Knowledge of wastewater treatment processes, including preliminary, primary, secondary, digestion, gas handling systems, sludge handling and plant-wide air, water, electrical and hydraulic support systems.
- Knowledge of collection systems, including pump stations, regulator stations and miscellaneous structures, and of disinfecting methods
- Knowledge of mechanical and electrical theory, cross connections, and pumps
- Knowledge of wastewater terminology and process control
- Knowledge of industrial safety procedures and practices
- Knowledge of and skill in applying sampling, testing and laboratory procedures
- Communications skills
- Basic mathematics, algebra and computer application skills
- Skill in reading, recording and interpreting instrumentation and control gauges and meters
- Skill in operating basic hand and power tools and specialized equipment
- Skill in operating complex computer control systems and identifying normal and abnormal operating conditions
- Skill in the interpretation and application of technical information from plant drawings, operations and maintenance manuals and lab tests
- Skill in manually starting and stopping equipment, systems, and processes
- Skill in establishing and maintaining work relationships with diverse occupational groups
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING / CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Washington State Wastewater Group I or higher issued from the Washington State Department of Ecology
- A valid WA State Driver's License
- CPR and first aid certification – can be achieved within the first six months of employment
- The position requires the ability to work all shift schedules and required to report to work during adverse and inclement weather conditions. Incumbents perform fieldwork at one or more wastewater treatment plant(s), collection system pump and regulator stations and associated facilities and are required to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, use stairways and ladders, and there is exposure to biological and chemical hazards and noxious odors.
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position is represented by Wastewater S.E.I.U. Local 925
SELECTION PROCESS: Transfer candidates will be selected based on the CBA. Reviews of performance appraisals, personnel files, internal reference, BT / Vacation usage logs, etc. will also be conducted prior to any final job offer.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Senior Human Resource Analyst
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you a Wastewater S.E.I.U. Local 925 member?