Administrative Specialist II (Spanish and Chinese)King County Department of Human Resources
This recruitment will be used to fill one Career Service Administrative Specialist (Spanish) position and one Administrative Specialist (Chinese) position. This recruitment may also be used to create a list of candidate to fill current and future career service positions over the next 6 months.
This is an amazing opportunity to be engaged in the election process!
The Department of Elections - is searching for energetic and resourceful professionals who like to "get stuff done". The Administrative Specialist II positions in the Voter Services Department combines an exciting, fast-paced environment with the opportunity to cultivate talents and apply a variety of skills. The ideal candidate will have a desire to help ensure the democratic process through public service. They will thrive in an innovative environment and will not hesitate to roll up both sleeves, work hard, have fun, and get the job done. These positions will also provide backup support translating and/or proofing election-related documents and web materials to Spanish and Chinese.
King County Elections (KCE) manages voter registrations and elections for more than 1.3 million voters in King County, the largest vote-by-mail county in the United States. KCE's mission is to conduct fair, open and accurate elections. As a leader in providing inclusive elections, KCE is focused on three key priorities – (1) actively identifying and working to remove barriers to voting at both the individual and community level, (2) strengthening relationships with community and governmental partners, and (3) creating a culture of professional growth and development, openness and inclusion. Learn more at www.kingcounty.gov/elections.aspx .
Who May Apply: This position is open to the general public and all King County employees.
Work Location(s): This position will work at Renton Elections Building located at 919 SW Grady Way, Renton, WA 98057. The position will also be frequently requested to work at the King County Administration Building located at 500 4th Ave in Seattle and may be requested to work at additional off site voting and registration centers throughout the county.
Work Schedule: This position is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is overtime eligible. The workweek is typically 35 hours per week, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. We require the flexibility to work additional hours during peak periods of the Election cycle that may occur outside of typical business hours.
Materials Required to Apply: A completed online King County employment application at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs and a Resume is required with your submission.
- Job Duties
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers in person, via telephone, and via e-mail by processing voter registrations, communicating election program information and explaining election procedures, guidelines and regulations.
- Provide backup support for translation and/or interpreting, proofing election-related documents, and web materials to Spanish or Chinese, including but not limited to: voter registration information, letters and other correspondence to limited English speaking (LES) voters including, notice of elections, ballot titles and voters' pamphlet information, candidate statements, ballot measures, resolutions and related materials.
- Perform production-level computer work which includes accurate data entry, retrieving and editing records.
- Organize and coordinate work activities and assist with providing training and one-on-one instruction to diverse staff.
- Set up records and file documents in both electronic and paper formats.
- Review documents for proper format, accuracy, completion, eligibility, and other legal guidelines.
- Audit work group data entry activities to ensure performance quality and efficiency of work.
- Utilize spreadsheets, word documents and reports to track and document performance data.
- Research and resolve questions from staff, citizens and stakeholders.
- Document and improve work processes, procedures and instructions.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Ability to enter a high a volume of data into a production application with speed and accuracy. Strong attention to detail with the ability to perform the repetitive tasks required for data entry.
- High level of Spanish or Chinese language skills including interpreting, reading, writing and speaking in both English and Spanish OR English and Chinese. (Candidates will be tested to determine translation skills and language proficiency.)
- Ability to maintain the integrity and confidentiality of the position.
- Commitment to providing excellent verbal and written customer service to everyone. This can be demonstrated through establishing and maintaining effective relationships, and building rapport with a variety of people through active, attentive listening, and respect for differing backgrounds and points of view.
- Demonstrated comfort with the use of personal computers, email and electronic record filing systems to create correspondence and spreadsheets, send and receive information, access and analyze data, and develop reports and outreach materials.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite – specifically Word and Excel.
- Initiative in taking on new tasks and projects.
- Familiarity with diverse communities and direct community based or customer service based experience is preferred.
- Supplemental Information
Travel to work locations throughout King County with limited or no public transportation services is required. A valid Washington State Driver's License is required to operate King County vehicles.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The duties in this position are performed in an office setting and may be required to lift at least 20 lbs.
UNION: This position is represented by Teamsters Local 117, Professional & Technical and Administrative Employees.
King County is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity /Affirmative Action employer and we encourage people of color, women, veterans and people with disabilities to apply.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Sr. HR Business Partner
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Please rate your experience using Microsoft Office Suite - specifically Excel, Word and Outlook.
02Please indicate below which of the following areas you have working experience in (select all that apply).
- No experience
- Beginner, some use
- Intermediate, frequent use and average skill
- Advanced, extensive use and excellent skill
03This position is required to translate or proof election related document, policies, procedures, codes, regulations and other relevant sources, to internal and/or external customers in writing. Please check the language(s) you are able to read, speak, and write fluently:
- Entering a high volume of data
- Performing repetitive tasks that required high attention to detail
- Providing customer service to internal and external customers (general public)
- Providing customer service to people of differing backgrounds and points of view
- Interact with customers in person, over the phone, and through e-mail
- Create or maintain spreadsheets
- None of the above
04Please describe your Spanish/English or Chinese/English translation experience. Please be specific and include when and where you translated, the organizations and/or agencies, whether it was written or oral translation, and the difficulty and/or types of materials translated.05Please describe any translation related education, training, or certification in Spanish or Chinese that you have received.06This application requires the attachment of a resume. If you have not provided it yet, you may still do so before final submission of the application. Did you submit a resume for this job application?
- None of the above