BuyerKing County Department of Human Resources
This recruitment is being extended. If you have already submitted an application, you do not need to reapply. In addition to filling two Career Service positions, this recruitment will also fill one Term-Limited Temporary (TLT) position that is anticipated to end December 31, 2020. If the TLT position is filled by a King County employee, it will be as a Special Duty Assignment.
The King County central Procurement and Payables Section (P&P) of the Finance and Business Operations Division (FBOD) is looking for a driven and highly analytical Buyer. Our Goods and Services staff is responsible for procuring supplies, materials, equipment and services in order to support operational needs throughout King County.
A strong candidate will have passion and drive to secure these goods and services by efficient and cost effective methods in accordance with procurement laws, regulations, policies and procedures, all in support of King County's mission and objectives.
P&P is seeking candidates who are willing to develop and deliver creative ideas and suggestions to the workplace and have a keen ability to establish and maintain effective relationship with their customers and co-workers, as well as pursue measures to meet the county's Equity and Social Justice initiative. If you're inspired by a new challenge, the thought of contributing to a business in a significant way, and working with other team members to do it, this is the position for you!
FBOD's mission is to provide timely, efficient and accurate accounting, procurement, treasury, payroll, benefits and small business services. We are actively seeking employees whose behavior is in alignment with our division's core values of: Respect, Teamwork, Results and Innovation.
Scope of Job Duties: To be considered for these opportunities, you must at a minimum, demonstrate knowledge, skill and ability to:
- Participate and oversee competitive bidding and contract awards and ensure timely submittal of documentation. Provide advice on solicitation and contracting to project representatives, conduct cost/price analysis and participate in negotiations;
- Interact closely with agency staff throughout King County, and work with vendors and contractors to ensure that county business is conducted openly, inclusively, and provides the best value;
- Draft specifications, scopes of work, amendments and change orders that comply with procurement and contracting rules
- Propose alternative contracting methods and develop appropriate solicitation and contract documents and develop new procurement and contracting methods;
- Establish and administer contracts for individual agency and full county use. Resolve contract and procurement issues and assist in leading business process improvement projects.
We are looking for candidates who:
- Have experience performing solicitations such as ITBs (Invitation to Bid) RFP (Request for Proposals) and/or RFQ (Request for Qualifications) for establishing contracts;
- Are able to conduct research and analysis on a variety of commodities;
- Are collaborative and excited about participating on a diverse team in a culture of continuous business process improvement, including monitoring of daily work, and helping to resolve difficult and unusual situations under tight deadlines;
- Have excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills;
- Can reduce cycle times while maintaining a high level of customer service and compliance with the rules and regulations to be adhered to by King County;
- Provide excellent customer service by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders;
- Manage a dynamic workload in a sometimes pressured environment, while maintaining effectiveness and composure;
- Have working knowledge of the Microsoft suite (Word, Outlook and Excel).
We would love it if you had:
- Experience conducting procurements for a governmental agency
- This position is non-exempt from the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act and is therefore overtime-eligible.
- Employees are paid on a bi-weekly schedule, every other Thursday, comprising a 40-hour workweek; normally 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- This position is represented by the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, Local 117- Professional and Technical Employees.
Are you ready to apply?
The recruitment for this position is open to all qualified candidates. This recruitment will be used to fill two Career Service positions and a Term-Limited Temporary position. The Term-Limited Temporary position is anticipated to end December 31, 2020. If filled by a King County employee, it will be as a Special Duty Assignment.
A completed King County Application (paper or electronic) and answers to the supplemental questions (if applicable) are required. We highly recommend that you also provide a cover letter and resume. Please apply online at www.kingcounty.gov/jobs.
If you have any questions or concerns while applying, please contact Jen Montoya, HR Analyst, by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 206-477-5997.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01This recruitment will be used to fill two Career Service positions and a Term-Limited Temporary position. The Term-Limited Temporary position is anticipated to end December 31, 2020. If filled by a King County employee, it will be as a Special Duty Assignment. Please select which vacancies you would like to be considered for.
- Career Service
- Term-Limited Temporary/ Special Duty Assignment