Process Lab Specialist (South Plant)King County Department of Human Resources
WHO MAY APPLY: This position is open to all qualified applicants. Please note that the first priority will be given to S.E.I.U., Wastewater Local 925 transfer, and internal candidates.
WORK SCHEDULE: This position is currently assigned to working a 5 x 8 schedule. Applicants must be available to work any and all assigned shift schedules. This position is overtime eligible.
JOB SUMMARY: This position performs entry-level laboratory responsibilities such as routine chemical and biochemical analysis and operating required instrumentation in a wastewater treatment plant laboratory.
The Wastewater Treatment Division is committed to the principles of equity and social justice. We value diverse perspectives and life experiences in our workforce and are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. WTD strives to provide equitable services to residents and businesses across King County.
- Job Duties
- Perform a variety of physical, chemical, and biochemical analyses following established laboratory procedures. Follow established laboratory protocols for spill response, laboratory safety, and cleaning and maintaining laboratory.
- Prepare samples for analysis and preserve/store them according to standard procedures. Maintain the physical and quantitative integrity of each sample and maintain associated records.
- Collect samples and operate a motorized vehicle to travel to remote work locations or locations with no public transportation services.
- Clean and perform some routine servicing of automatic samplers and specific field equipment. Assist with the calibration of on-line instruments.
- Enter test results and other pertinent data into spreadsheets and lab database and calculate data as required.
- Complete and maintain bench sheets, logs, and other records (paper and electronic). Prepare necessary reagents and standards and follow established disposal procedures. Identify and notify higher-level staff of unusual test results.
- Monitor control charts and quality control samples (blanks, check standards, and duplicates) to maintain test integrity.
- Participate as a member of a business team to make decisions regarding the work unit's business goals and objectives.
- Monitor and maintain laboratory chemical inventories and verify shipment orders. Validate data at the bench sheet level
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Knowledge of field and laboratory techniques and sampling methods typically obtained in an associate of science degree or two years of college-level science course work, including at least one year of chemistry, or two years equivalent experience applicable to a wastewater treatment laboratory.
- Two years of experience in the application and use of test equipment and instruments. Two years of experience using scientific theories, principles and relevant mathematics in a laboratory environment.
- Two years of experience in laboratory quality assurance/quality control.
- Two years of experience using a computer and associated software for spreadsheets, databases and word processing (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Skill in working with detailed information.
- Ability to lift and move items weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with a diverse group of individuals in varying occupations.
- Skill in team consensus building techniques and principles and working in a team environment.
- Skill in oral and written communication techniques and principles and ability to read, write, present and follow oral and written instructions
- Supplemental Information
LICENSING / CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
- Washington State Driver's License or out-of-state equivalent
- Highly Desired - Washington State Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator's Group I Certificate
- Highly Desired- Bachelors of Science degree
SELECTION PROCESS: Transfer candidates will be selected based on the CBA. Reviews of performance appraisals, personnel files, internal reference, BT / Vacation usage logs, etc. will also be conducted prior to any final job offer.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Senior Human Resource Analyst
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.
NOTE: Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position. Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.
01Are you a local SIEU 925 member?