Field Technician (Water Distribution)
JOB SUMMARY: Assists in most areas of maintaining, repairing and inspecting water mains, water services, pump stations and reservoirs. Examples of typical work activities: flushing water mains, water quality monitoring, backflow inspections, sample collections and reporting; valve maintenance, emergency repairs, meter change outs, customer service, service installations and ensures meter boxes are properly trimmed and insulated. Other assignments as directed by supervisors. This is a 24-hour standby on call position.
Salary: $27.00-40.00/hr or $4,680-$6,933 per month DOE/DOQ
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs/constructs/maintains/repairs the following:
- Meters: reading, installations, and customer inquiry response
- Fire hydrants
- Water pump stations
- Control valves
- Cross-connection control
- Reservoir Maintenance
- Water quality program
- Water service and water main installations
- Valve program
- Watermain flushing/cleaning
- Maintenance and cleaning of District facilities (District office, pump stations, reservoirs, cut/clear easements, mowing/weeding lawns, landscaping and plant care).
- Determines the required equipment, materials and the work crew with the necessary skills based on the work order. Assembles the same and assesses the conditions of work sites for proper layout/approach of safe & efficient work..
- Performs maintenance; replaces major and minor installations as a member of the work crew; vacuuming trailer, dump truck, trailers, backhoes, power and hand tools and other construction equipment.
- Oversees the layout of barricades, warning signs and other public safety devices; checks for hazardous conditions; observes/instructs workers on safety practices
- Responsible for operating and/or maintaining trucks, and other miscellaneous tools and equipment.
- Reports suspected or noticeable safety problems to the superiors.
- Prepares incident/accident reports, and work orders, logs daily work activities.
- Works effectively with customers to obtain favorable outcomes.
- Practices safety in traffic control and work practices.
- Emergency response and repairs.
- Backup to Meter Reader when necessary.
- 24Hr Stand-by/On-call rotation
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma, or G.E.D. Licenses or Certificates
- Valid Washington State Drivers License.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License
- Flaggers Card – to be obtained within one year in this position
- CPR/First Aid – to be obtained within one year in this position
- Washington State Commercial Driver’s License – Class B – to be obtained within three years in this position
- WDM-I – Water Distribution Manager – Washington State
- Cross-connection Control Specialist Certification – to be obtained within two years in this position
- Complete FEMA ICS 100 and 200 training within one year in this position