Public Information CoordinatorKitsap Transit
Public Information Coordinator
Position Summary: We are looking for a qualified and experienced candidate to join our team as the Public Information Coordinator. The ideal candidate will have experience and demonstrated success in the following areas: Conceptualizing and telling stories; creating and maintaining multimedia content on websites, e-newsletters and social media platforms; monitoring, analyzing and strategizing to build the agency’s following on social-media platforms like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter; and photo/video production & editing for websites, blogs, social media, and advertisements.
This position will write, edit, research and generate stories and public information materials in a variety of formats, including annual reports, monthly or quarterly e-newsletters, and short videos.
This position will cultivate and build Kitsap Transit’s presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn by publishing original posts, curating social-media content, and regularly compiling and using traffic metrics to evaluate the performance of content.
As a core member of Kitsap Transit’s marketing team, the successful candidate also will proofread press releases, reports, rider alerts, advertisements, web pages and other messages intended for the public for clarity, writing style and quality. With a keen eye for errors, poor wording and out-of-date content, this position will support our efforts to keep our copy fresh, relevant and in sync with journalistic style and usage.
The successful candidate will capture photos and video (with DSLR and/or smartphone); this position will edit and produce finished videos using Adobe Premiere Pro. This position will curate photos and video for Kitsap Transit and keep digital assets organized. The ideal candidate will have experience in modern collaborative cloud-based software such as Smartsheet, Dropbox and Slack.
This role will assist with responding to inquiries from media and the general public, maintaining relationships with media contacts, and providing communications coverage during service disruptions, inclement weather, weekends, holidays and emergencies.
This role supports the agency’s activities in surveying and engaging the public and key stakeholders to understand priorities and concerns; developing and maintaining community partnerships; supporting community events; and performing related activities.
This position reports to the Marketing & Public Information Director.
Salary Range: The range for this position is $71,240 - $95,805 per year, commensurate with experience. With rare exception, initial appointments are usually made at Step 1 ($71,240).
Benefits: Full-time employees receive a generous benefits package including subsidized medical insurance and fully paid dental insurance for employee and dependents, as well as disability insurance and life insurance. This position participates in the Washington State Public Employees’ Retirement Plan with the option of participating in a state administered deferred compensation plan. Employees receive a generous general leave accrual and 11 holidays pro-rated based on the number of hours worked per pay period up to a maximum of 80 hours per pay period. Kitsap Transit also provides employees and certain dependents with a free transportation pass on Kitsap Transit.
Hours of Work: Work is conducted during normal business hours 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. This position may need to provide communications coverage during service disruptions, inclement weather, weekends, holidays and emergencies.
Kitsap Transit employees who wish to apply must have a satisfactory performance and attendance record. Kitsap Transit Operators with any of the following criteria in the last twelve months are excluded from recruitment opportunities:
- a current Decision Making Leave or higher in the Safety category
- more than two held customer complaints
- more than four unscheduled absences
- more than two late reports
Education and Experience: Bachelor's or Master’s degree in journalism, public relations, marketing, digital media, or communications; and three years of increasingly responsible experience in journalism, public relations, marketing, social-media coordination or digital communications; or an equivalent combination of education and experience in the fields mentioned. Demonstrated skill in photography and/or videography highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Following are some highlights of what is needed to be successful in this position.
- Gather, analyze and synthesize a broad range of information, interpret direction and use
initiative and sound judgment when creating content
- Ability to deliver creative content (text, image and video)
- Expertise in multiple social-media platforms
- Excellent collaboration skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to follow directions, receive and implement feedback
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, attentive to details and technologically savvy
- Knowledge of Associated Press style and English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
- Ability to manage time, prioritize, juggle multiple projects, meet deadlines, and keep track of delivery and publication dates
- Aptitude for learning new software tools quickly
- React with sound judgment in stressful work situations and in response to public scrutiny
- Using personal computers and specialized desktop publishing/graphic design software, web content management software as well as office software in a Windowsbased operating environment
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with other employees and the public
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Positions in this class typically require: fingering, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions. Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work.
May need to work during inclement weather. Occasional travel and work outside of regular business hours, weekends and holidays may be required.
Selection Process: After evaluating the completed applications, qualifications summary, supplemental questionnaire, and work portfolio, we will invite the most qualified applicants to test for the position. We will not make any hiring decisions until all steps in the selection process are completed, including reference and background checks.
The portfolio should highlight original work and should include a brief explanation of the applicant’s specific role and contribution. Applicants are encouraged to show the breadth and depth of their skills in creating content for the following communication channels – print, web, email, social-media and podcasts/videos. Please provide web links to the content in your portfolio, if applicable.
In-person testing for this position will take place on either March 30 or March 31, 2020. Kitsap Transit does not pay for travel or relocation costs.
To Apply: If you decide to apply for this position, please visit our employment link at http://kitsaptransit.appone.com/. Please contact Marianne Rajan in the Human Resources Department at (360) 478-5852 if you have any questions.
Closing Date: We must receive your completed application packet by 4:00 PM PST, Friday, March 13, 2020.
- Selective certification may be used to achieve affirmative action goals.
- Kitsap Transit is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the hiring process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least ten days in advance or 360-479-4348 (TDD).
- If you qualify for Veterans’ preference under RCW 41.04.005 and 41.04.010, you must answer all questions regarding Veterans’ Preference in the application and upload a copy of your DD214 to your online application.
KITSAP TRANSIT IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER