Staff Attorney I-Child Support
CLOSES: Until Filed
SALARY: (11) $33.18-$37.16 p/h DOE
LOCATION: Tribal Administration
SUPERVISOR: Legal Director
DURATION: Regular Full-Time
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k, Annual/Sick Leave, Life Insurance and Paid Holidays.
JOB SUMMARY: Staff Attorney I works within the Office of the Reservation Attorney for the Lummi Nation representing and assisting the Lummi Nation Child Support Program. Job performance of the Staff Attorney I is evaluated by the Legal Director in consultation with the Lummi Child Support Program Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, and other related duties as assigned.
- Provide legal advice and representation to the Lummi Nation Child Support Program.
- Knowledge of child support law in Lummi Code of Laws, and state or other laws.
- Represent the Lummi Nation in judicial and administrative proceedings to obtain and enforce child support and paternity actions.
- Perform legal research and writings for the preparation of complaints, motions, pleadings, and other documents.
- Maintain case and research files according to established office systems and follow general office procedures.
- Perform job duties in a manner consistent with ethical standards, including compliance with the Washington State Rules of Professional Conduct, and assure justice is upheld under the Lummi Code of Laws.
- Complete other legal assignments and projects as designated by the Legal Director, including, but not limited to, code drafting, civil legal research, and proceedings that foster the goals and objectives of the Lummi Nation Child Support Program.
- Continue professional development through Continuing Legal Education and/or training in the areas of Indian Law or other issues relevant to job duties, as approved in accordance with Lummi Nation’s policies and procedures.
- Travel locally and out of state as necessary to represent the Lummi Nation Child Support Program at inter-jurisdictional forums, as approved in accordance with the Lummi Nation’s policies and procedures.
- Graduate of accredited law school.
- Member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association or able to obtain admission within 6 months of hire.
- Member of the Lummi Nation Tribal Court Bar in good standing or able to become a member within the first 5 days of employment.
- Entry level position.
- 1 year of law practice experience required.
- 1 years of active, relevant legal experience preferred.
- Familiarity with Native American culture preferred.
- Possess a valid Washington State Driver’s license and meet eligibility requirements for tribal insurance.
- Lummi/Native American/Veteran preference policy applies.