Staff Attorney I or II
OPEN: September 30, 2021
CLOSES: Until Filled
SALARY: $33.18-$42.74 p/h DOE
DEPARTMENT: Office of the Reservation Attorney
LOCATION: 2665 Kwina Rd. Bellingham, WA
DURATION: Regular Full-Time
Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401k, and Paid Holidays
JOB SUMMARY: The Staff Attorney I or II works within the Office of the Reservation Attorney
(ORA) for the Lummi Nation, and its departments and entities, on a broad range of issues concerning or affecting tribal sovereignty and self-governance. Duties may include providing legal advice and representing the Nation, and its departments and entities, in judicial and administrative proceedings in tribal, federal, and state forums. Job performance of the Staff Attorney I or II is evaluated by the Legal Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following, and other related
duties as assigned.
1. Provide legal advice and representation to the Nation, its departments, and entities, in judicial and administrative proceedings in tribal, federal, and state forums as assigned.
2. Assist with revision of Lummi Code of Laws.
3. Assist with complex legal issues impacting the Nation, and its departments and entities.
4. Negotiate, prepare, and review contracts.
5. Prepare and review resolutions, forms, and policies and procedures as directed.
6. Perform legal research and prepare memorandums of law on assigned topics.
7. Assist in the resolution of complex legal issues impacting the Nation, and its departments and entities.
8. Participate in major legal actions.
9. Maintain case and research files according to office systems and follow general office
10. Complete legal research and writings necessary for the preparation of complaints, motions,
pleadings, and other court documents.
11. Complete other legal assignments and projects as designated, including code drafting, legal
research, and writing.
12. Continue professional development through Continuing Legal Education and/or training in the areas of Indian Law or other issues relevant to job duties.
13. Perform job duties in a manner consistent with ethical standards and the assurance that justice is upheld under the Lummi Code of Laws, state laws, and federal laws as applicable.
14. Participate in Lummi community events during and/or after hours to gain perspective of the
15. Attend judicial, administrative, or legislative proceedings, as directed.
16. Attend meetings of the LIBC, the General Council, and Lummi’s Commissions, Boards or
Committees, as directed. Attend Inter-tribal or other conferences or meetings, as requested.
17. Travel locally and out of state as necessary to represent the Lummi Nation, as approved in
accordance with the Lummi Nation’s policies and procedures.
18. Continue professional development through Continuing Legal Education and/or training in the areas of Indian Law or other issues relevant to job duties.
19. Keep up to date on the current law in your work area.
20. Represent the Nation in Court and litigate as required.
21. Perform other duties as assigned.
• Graduate of an ABA-accredited law school.
• Member in good standing of the Washington State Bar Association or licensed in good standing in another State and able to obtain admission within 6 months of hire required.
• Member of the Lummi Nation Tribal Court Bar in good standing or able to become a member
within the first 30 days of employment required.
• Experience in the practice of Law:
o Staff Attorney I: 1 year preferred.
o Staff Attorney II: 5 years preferred.
• Active and relevant Indian Law experience preferred.
• Litigation, human relations, and tribal law experience preferred.
• Experience in code writing and regulations, especially with Native American nations preferred
• Must possess a valid Washington State Driver’s License and meet eligibility requirements for tribal insurance.
• Lummi/Native American/Veteran preference policy applies.
• Must pass pre-employment and random drug and alcohol test to be eligible for and maintain
employment, as required by the LIBC Drug & Alcohol Free Workplace Policy.
• Position requires extensive Criminal Background Check.
TO APPLY: To obtain a Lummi Indian Business Council (LIBC) application go to: https://www.lumminsn.gov/widgets/JobsNow.php or request by e-mail email@example.com For more information contact the HR front desk (360) 312-2023. Submit LIBC application, cover letter, resume & reference letters no later than 4:30 p.m. on the closing date listed above. If listing degrees or certifications include copies. Mailing Address: 2665 Kwina Road, Bellingham, WA 98226. Human Resource Fax number: 360-380-6991.