Automotive Technician, Entry Level
Automotive Technician, Entry Level
About Seattle Pacific University:
Founded in 1891, Seattle Pacific University has a long and distinguished history in Christian higher education. Located just minutes from downtown Seattle, SPU seeks to be a premier Christian University fully committed to engaging the culture and changing the world by graduating people of competence and character, becoming people of wisdom, and modeling grace-filled community. Seattle Pacific University seeks applicants committed to its Christian mission.
As part of our mission of cultural engagement, SPU is committed to building an excellent and diverse staff and faculty. Diversity is an ethos that is inseparable from our Christian faith. At SPU, we recognize diversity as a basic feature of God's creation and a core theme of the gospel. At the heart of our mission-centered commitment to becoming a more diverse community is a desire to represent the breadth of God's kingdom more fully.
We strive to become a workplace of choice and to recruit, develop, and retain faculty and staff who can embrace, value, and engage differences with humility and care. We invite you to join us on our journey by starting a career at SPU! Learn more about SPU's commitment to diversity and opportunities for our employees to deepen their capacity to serve our increasingly diverse student body.
Seattle Pacific University provides reasonable accommodation to applicants. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the application or hiring process please contact the Human Resources Department at (206)281-2809, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Notification must be given at least five (5) working days before the accommodation is needed.
General Summary: Entry level position with room to grow. Performs basic general maintenance on university fleet of motor pool and service vehicles. Establishes and keeps accurate inventory and vehicle records for all related service station activities. Leads and directs 1 part-time temporary seasonal employee who assists with cleaning (washing & vacuuming) all motor-pool vehicles.
- Performs basic automotive maintenance work on university owned vehicles and equipment (gas/diesel/electric/propane). Uses hand and power tools.
- Perform oil changes
- Perform vehicle inspections and safety checks
- Inspect, rotate, and change tires
- Inspect / repair brake and steering systems
- Diagnose and repair electronic systems and components
- Repair / replace cooling components and systems (antifreeze and hoses)
- Repair / replace fuel system components
- Trains, equips, and supervises 1 Motor Pool Assistant (part-time student employee) who cleans, vacuums, and washes motor pool vehicles. This includes monitoring employee's punctual attendance and quality of work. Responsible for completing student employee's work assignment when worker is absent.
- Produces legible and accurate paperwork reflecting work performed. Keeps accurate inventory and vehicle records for all related service activities.
- Maintains a safe and clean work environment. Responsible for keeping the Auto Maintenance Garage organized and tidy.
- Drives vehicles to/from local dealership or repair shop as instructed when scope of repairs is beyond workload capacity or experience level of Automotive Technician employee.
- Adheres to all safety and warranty requirements for each vehicle / equipment per manufacturer's recommendations.
- Assists Maintenance Manager with Hazardous Waste collection / shipments. (Training will be provided.) Keeps accurate AutoShop records and required documentation in support of Facilities departmental compliance with RCRA, WISHA, L&I, and D.O.E. for hazardous waste.
- All Facilities employees are designated as "essential staff" and are subject to working during times that the university closes due to inclement weather or an emergency.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Work experience that proves good judgement in making decisions, asking for help, bringing forward problems, communication with others, and working around moving machinery and electricity.
- Valid Washington State Driver's license. (Must have and maintain a good driving record).
- Must possess the physical dexterity to work in, under, and around motor vehicles. Ability to properly use hand tools and power equipment used in the trade. Ability to drive service vehicle.
- Must have good automotive analytical skills.
- Must be able to load and unload materials. Must be able to lift and carry a minimum of 50 pounds. Must be able to carry, deploy, climb and lift different size ladders. Must be able to climb stairs and ladders while carrying supplies or equipment.
- Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to learn and act on new technical or complex information.
- Effective work habits, including commitment to quality of work, attention to detail, time management and organizational skills.
- Strong commitment to the University's Christian ministry and mission statement.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office products including Word, Outlook and Excel.
- Three years experience with auto mechanic and small engine repairs. Welding experience. One year Hazardous Materials handling.
- Forklift certification.(forklift training will be provided at no cost to employee) Associates degree in Automotive Tech or similar. Vehicle Inspection License or similar ASE Certification. ASE Master Technician Certification.
- Desire for professional growth and willingness to participate in provided Hazardous Waste Training (no cost to employee) so that necessary HAZWOPER 40-hr certification, RCRA and OSHA certifications can be achieved, as well as PPE Certifications of A, B, C, D, and Supervisor's certificatin;
- Ability to achieve and maintain 16-hr Asbestos Worker Certification (Training will be provided.)
- Knowledgeable in incident response operations, team functions, personnel safety, and field equipment.
All SPU employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to submit documentary proof of vaccination unless an exception applies. For more information, see SPU's Vaccination Requirements FAQs web page.
Position will remain open until filled.
Salary: $51,512 Annually
This is a full time position with excellent benefits. SPU pays the employee premium for medical, dental, and vision insurance. SPU makes contributions to an employee HSA account and to a retirement account after one year of eligibility in the plan. Tuition discount program available for the employee and qualified immediate family members.
Please submit a cover letter and resume along with the online application.