ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF FINANCE - ASSET MANAGEMENTUniversity of Washington
|Department:||UW FACILITIES: FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION|
|Appointing Department Web Address:||https://facilities.uw.edu/|
|Job Location:||Seattle Campus|
|Closing Info:||Open Until Filled|
Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
UW Facilities Finance & Administration provides financial, procurement and sourcing, human resources, and communications leadership to all of UW Facilities (UWF). UWF is one of the largest and most diverse administrative units on the Seattle campus supporting a large urban campus. UWF manages the University’s buildings, infrastructure and land, with more than 1,100 employees in a variety of fields. Our teams can be organized into four main groups: Finance & Administration, Asset Management, Operations, and Business Intelligence.
We have an outstanding opportunity for an Assistant Director of Finance – Asset Management to provide leadership, direction and quality control of finance and accounting services for many units within UWF with a focus on Asset Management (includes Real Estate), Finance and Administration, and Business Intelligence. The Assistant Director is a financial professional with experience in business operations and should have the full range of accounting, budgeting, analytical and leadership skills to support the budgetary vision, organizational analysis and financial reporting for their units in UWF. The Assistant Director will provide monthly financial reporting and partner with leaders in UWF to provide financial support, analysis and modeling for various business opportunities, options, and related financial impacts. This role will also support the Metropolitan Tract by managing the external audit and ongoing financial reporting of the assets. The Assistant Director role requires strong communication, organization, and analytical skills.
This position is an integral member of the UWF Finance & Administration team and must be adaptable, flexible, and able to manage a high volume of work. A team-oriented approach is essential, coupled with a proactive and positive business approach focused on meeting current and future needs.
The Assistant Director oversees an annual operating budget of approximately $50 million, a capital budget of approximately $450 million and 400 different operating and capital budgets. The Metropolitan Tract is valued over $1 billion and includes 1.7 million square feet of office and retail space. The complexities of multiple funding sources, cost allocations and many business units requires a financial professional who can span from detail to big picture analyses and presentations seamlessly. The Assistant Director must develop strong and effective relationships with leaders in the UWF business units and be a business partner to unit leadership.
The Assistant Director provides financial support for many units within UWF, including the Metropolitan Tract. The wide variety and depth of responsibility requires excellent management skills, resourcefulness, attention to detail, sound judgement, and flexibility. The Assistant Director will use a variety of systems to gather data and must be able to consolidate data and provide useful management reporting to the Directors. The Assistant Director will directly supervise two Accounting Managers and oversee the accounting work of 5 property management firms working on UW assets.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant Director will support the Director of Finance in the financial management of UW Facilities. This position will be primarily responsible for the financial reporting and budgeting for multiple units within UW Facilities, including the Metropolitan Tract. The financial reports and budgets requires knowledge of business operations, use of multiple systems, and coordination with UW Facility leaders.
Financial Reporting and Auditing (45%)
• Manage the monthly financial reporting and preparation of the annual budgets for many units within UW Facilities. Have in-depth knowledge of business operations to develop budgets and understand financial results of each unit.
• Oversee the accounting operations and financial reporting for construction activities, including monthly billing of project management fees.
• Oversee accounting operations and financial reporting for all owned and lease properties. This includes the oversight of all outsourced accounting operations which is currently done by five private real estate management firms.
• Review monthly Metropolitan Tract reporting and oversee the portfolio reporting for the asset.
• Oversee the external audits of the Metropolitan Tract, Apartment Buildings, and South Lake Union Research complex. This requires up to date knowledge of GAAP, GASB, and tax issues related to the respective properties.
• Provide asset portfolio reporting by using multiple systems to obtain a comprehensive view of financial activity.
• Identify and implement improvements to the existing accounting systems and processes. Provide leadership over the accounting functionality within the real estate software (Yardi).
• Ensure accounting controls are maintained and identify opportunities for improvement.
• Support management by providing financial analysis and research as requested.
• Other duties as required.
• Prepare annual budgets for approximately 50 operating budgets within UWF. Work with UWF leaders to understand funding and expense needs for various units.
• Support the development of the Capital Budget and the Minor Capital plan and reporting of the capital spending during each year.
• Work with leadership to review funding requests for Minor Capital budgets to assure all capital budgets are appropriately funded.
• Other duties as required.
Customized Financial Analysis (20%)
• Work collaboratively with a team of financial analysts to extract spend/purchasing/contracting data and developing specialized financial analyses for multiple users including the Finance & Administration and Procurement & Sourcing teams, AVP Finance & Administration, Vice President UW Facilities, COO, DEI Committee, and Regents.
• Requires the ability to work collaboratively and in partnership with VP, AVP, and Director level positions across UW Facilities.
• Requires deep knowledge of UW funding sources to analyze total sources and uses of funds at an organizational level as well as at a more granular unit level.
• Must be able to understand varying operational models quickly and apply financial analysis expertise to assist in decision-making.
• Requires in depth knowledge of software programs to maintain document credibility.
• Use advanced features of applications such as Excel, SQL Server analysis tools, Tableau, Access and/or other similar applications to extract and analyze large volumes of data, to include formatting to suit specific projects and audiences.
• Use UW administrative system tools including, for example, MyFD, Workday, and Office of Planning & Budgeting database, and the Enterprise Data Warehouse to extract and download system data for analysis.
Staff Management (15%)
• Directly supervise 2 accounting staff. The staff are responsible for financial reporting and analysis of the Real Estate portfolio and the financial accounting for capital projects.
• Oversee 5 accountants providing services to UWF through property managers. This position will not have direct supervision of the property manager accountant but will oversee the financial statements and other financial work deliverables from these groups.
• Demonstrate personal integrity and trustworthiness.
• Manage stressful situations and changing priorities effectively.
• Anticipate, recognize and resolve problems.
• Be responsible and accountable.
• Be collaborative and enjoy working in a team environment.
• Use organizational skills and provide attention to details.
• Maintain a positive, optimistic, and success-oriented attitude.
• Exercise professionalism, which includes being tactful and courteous.
• Exhibit a professional work ethic.
• Continuously promote a safe work environment.
• Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or closely related field.
• Seven or more years’ experience in financial management.
• Supervisory experience.
• Experience working with external auditors and overseeing audit reports.
• Demonstrated experience in analyzing and presenting financial information from multiple sources.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• High degree of professionalism, integrity and ownership needed; must be customer-committed and results-oriented.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Working knowledge of the UW financial accounting systems.
• Familiarity with a variety of UW systems and policies, especially related to finance (Ariba, ASTRA, AiM, Purchase Tracker, BGT, Workday, MyFD, EDW & Financial Cubes).
• Real Estate industry background.
• Knowledge of Yardi, Asset Works, or PM Web software.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be able to work in a non-smoking environment.
• Regular and predictable attendance is required.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.