CARPET CLEANER [M – F; 4:30pm – 1:00am]University of Washington
|Department:||UW FACILITIES: BUILDING SERVICES DEPARTMENT|
|Appointing Department Web Address:||https://facilities.uw.edu/|
|Job Location:||Seattle Campus|
|Closing Info:||Closes On 12/12/2019|
|Salary:||$2,832 to $3,576/month|
|Shift:||Permanent Evening Shift|
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
UW Facilities manages the University’s buildings, infrastructure and land, with more than 1,100 employees in a variety of fields. The Asset Management group includes Capital & Space Management, Real Estate, Sustainability and other teams responsible for planning and workload management. The Operations group includes Project Delivery, Maintenance & Construction, Campus Utilities & Operations, Building Services, Transportation Services and Safety. Supporting these groups, as well as the separate Emergency Management team, are the Business Intelligence & Information Technology group and the Finance & Administration group.
Building Services delivers Custodial Services to the UW campus that provides exceptionally clean and sanitary environments for students, faculty, staff, and visitors and manages the comprehensive Recycling & Solid Waste Management program.
We have an outstanding opportunity for a Carpet Cleaner.
Under the direction of a Carpet Cleaner Lead and Manager of Operations in the Custodial Department, the Custodial Carpet Cleaner is responsible for servicing, sometimes alone, and sometimes in conjunction with a coworker, over 100 buildings throughout the campus. It is planned that all carpeted areas on campus will be cleaned once per biennium, though special projects are handled at any time at the discretion of supervision. Besides carpet care, Carpet Cleaners will also be called upon to clean upholstery and office partitions and perform regular custodial duties.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
• Load and transport carpet-cleaning equipment and supplies in a University truck; maintain cleanliness of truck, fueling, and maintenance log;
• Coordinate cleaning activities with Area Manager or designee (determining suitable closet to use, best start times, etc.);
• Set up equipment, dilute solutions, and the determine safest and most economical strategy to perform work assignment;
• Assess carpet condition to determine appropriate cleaning system (overall condition of carpet, seam separation, fiber make up, visible damage, padded or unpadded) for time allotted for each job;
• Maintain activity log; coordinate activities with Manager as needed;
• Participate in periodic training in the use of chemicals, other supplies, and in upholstery fabric cleaning;
• Maintain inventory of equipment and products; submit reports on labor and material costs;
• Ensure that carpet-cleaning equipment is maintained in proper working order; perform minor mechanical maintenance on carpet-cleaning equipment;
• Carry cell phone to maintain workplace communication;
• Clean upholstery, partitions, and other fabric surfaces;
• May perform occasional custodial duties;
• Maintain a positive attitude while working with custodial staff, and clients while supporting the mission of Custodial Services;
• Perform related duties as required.
• Demonstrate personal integrity and trustworthiness.
• Manage stressful situations and changing priorities effectively.
• Anticipate, recognize and resolve problems.
• Be responsible and accountable.
• Use organizational skills and provide attention to details.
• Maintain a positive, optimistic, and success-oriented attitude.
• Exercise professionalism, which includes being tactful and courteous.
• Exhibit a professional work ethic.
• Continuously promote a safe work environment.
• Six months' carpet cleaning experience.
• A valid Washington State Driver's License may be required.
• Physical ability to do required work.
Additional requirements include:
• Must be able to follow written and/or verbal instructions and communicate in English regarding the use of chemicals, supplies, and equipment; comply with safety policies and procedures.
• Must be able to work an 8-hour shift, 5 days per week.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
• Basic Computer Skills
• Possession of a valid Washington State Driver’s License or a license recognized as valid by the State of Washington and two years driving experience.
Conditions of Employment:
• Must be able to work in a non-smoking environment.
• Regular and predictable attendance
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment, you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.