COOK, HARBORVIEW - NUTRITION SERVICES (02)University of Washington
HARBORVIEW MEDICAL CENTER
The Cook is part of the foodservice team providing meal service to patients and customers. The Cook prepares accurate, high quality food for patients to order following standardized recipes and procedures. The Cook has knowledge of food production, equipment operations and food sanitation/safety practices and standards. The Cook creates a congenial and positive environment by carrying out responsibilities in an efficient, friendly, helpful and sensitive manner; The Cook is trained to cover all Cook positions in the department.
KEY DUTIES AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
• Perform routine cleaning duties as assigned • Participate in other cleaning duties as assigned by supervisors
• Maintains the highest infection control and sanitary standards. Adheres to all health and safety regulations • Maintains security and safety in work area • Keeps station and cooking equipment clean following all infection control procedures • Begins and ends tray assembly including service ware, condiments, hot and cold items as they are finished by Line and Cold Pantry Cooks. • Identifies product needs and requisitions items required to prepare tray assembly • Notifies Sous Chef in advance of expected shortages • Prepares all lunch/dinner orders accurately and efficiently follows food preparation procedures • Maintains assembly pace in order to meet demands • Sets up, maintains and breaks down station according to procedures • Covers, dates and properly stores all leftover products according to procedures • Works as the Room Service Line, Café, Expeditor, Breakfast and Cold Pantry Cook as assigned • Assists with other duties as assigned by the Executive Chef or Sous Chef
Overview of Work Assignments/Stations:
All positions are fast-paced, high volume assignment/stations which demand the accurate execution and plating of menu items selected by the patient in less than 15 minutes from the time the ticket is printed. Strong organizational skills, the ability to handle high pressure situations while maintaining a composed positive attitude are performance standards. The position manages production activities, plans and executes continuous preparation of items for the next service period
WORKING CONDITIONS, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND EQUIPMENT USAGE:
• Exposure to gas, electricity and steam cooking equipment • Exposure to wet areas and noise in the main kitchen • Potential exposure to airborne infections disease from patients • Exposure to cleaning and sanitizing solutions • Must have ability to flex into other cook positions in the department
• Continuous moving about work area • Constant standing on feet eight hours per day • Frequent bending, stooping, reaching overhead, and pushing/pulling carts up to 25 pounds unassisted • Lifting, lifting/pushing overhead up to 25 pounds unassisted • Lifting and carrying items up to 30 pounds unassisted • Clear, audible speaking • Correctable vision to size 12 type • Ability to hear normal speaking level
• Transport carts • Computer, printer, telephones, tablets • Grills, stoves, salamander, knives, slicers • Automated juice, hot chocolate machine, and espresso machine • Refrigerators, freezers, toasters, microwaves, steam tables, pellet heater
Possession of, or eligible for, a food handler's permit AND one year of experience as a Food Service Worker; or equivalent education/experience
The University of Washington is a leader in environmental stewardship & sustainability, and committed to becoming climate neutral.
The University of Washington is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Services Office at 206-543-6450 / 206-543-6452 (tty) or email@example.com.Apply for this job