PROGRAM COORDINATOR, CLINICAL RESEARCH BILLING
University of Washington Seattle, WA Full-time Administration / Clerical
Posted on July 8, 2020
|Department:||UW MEDICINE - CLINICAL TRIALS OFFICE|
|Job Location:||South Lake Union|
|Closing Info:||Closes On 08/02/2020|
|Salary:||$3,398 - $4,541/month|
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs.
For detailed information on Benefits for this position, click here.
As a UW employee, you have a unique opportunity to change lives on our campuses, in our state and around the world. UW employees offer their boundless energy, creative problem-solving skills and dedication to build stronger minds and a healthier world.
UW faculty and staff also enjoy outstanding benefits, professional growth opportunities and unique resources in an environment noted for diversity, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits and natural beauty. All of which has allowed the UW to be nationally recognized as a “Great College to Work For” for six consecutive years.
UW Medicine works to improve the health of the public by advancing medical knowledge, providing outstanding primary and specialty medical care to people of the region, and preparing tomorrow’s physicians, scientists and other health professionals. Within the large UW Medicine health system, the School of Medicine (SOM) is a world leader in biomedical research, with the largest biomedical research program at a public university based on National Institutes of Health funding and ranking among the top research universities internationally.
The Clinical Trials Office (CTO) supports the clinical research mission of UW Medicine. The CTO is an operational unit within the SOM’s Office of Research and Graduate Education charged with providing multi-service support to clinical researchers bringing important new therapies to our patients in compliance with evolving regulatory requirements.
The Clinical Trials Office has an excellent opportunity for a Program Coordinator, Clinical Research Billing.
Prompt, attentive customer service is critical to the success of this position. The position provides specialized support to clinical research staff, practice site compliance, and revenue cycle personnel regarding clinical research studies. It also performs complex billing and accounting tasks for patients enrolled in clinical research studies. It may also support other areas of the CTO.
CHARGE REVIEW AND CODING:
• Reconcile charges captured in Epic with the study’s Billing Grid and other study documents, as well as the medical record, to ensure appropriate billing to the research study, Medicare, third-party payer, or the study subject
• When study time points information cannot be obtained from the Billing Grid or the medical record, reach out to study team to obtain the information
• Maintain confidentiality of records
• Ensure all patient information is provided in compliance with applicable privacy regulations
• Monitor Epic work queues to ensure timely flow of the research revenue cycle, and document all actions taken in Epic
• As appropriate, add coding to research-related patient claims, in accordance with the Medicare Clinical Trial Policy and other relevant paper guidelines
INVOICING, CORRECTIONS AND JV SUBMISSIONS:
• Prepare, process and send research invoices for study-billable clinical services
• When information received from study teams that an invoice contains errors or omissions, resolve the errors by transferring charges in Epic, and/or working with other departments to get charges entered/reversed
• Submit electronic journal vouchers (JVs) for approval and funds transfer between study budgets and the hospital
PAYMENT POSTING, FOLLOW UP AND MONITORING:
• Ensure payments received (via checks and approved JV submissions) are posted in Epic
• Follow up on assigned accounts to assure prompt and complete payment
• Respond to account queries from Patient Financial Services, and investigate and follow up as needed
• As needed, analyze study and patient accounts to determine whether appropriate action was taken, and make or request corrective action as required, in accordance with regulatory and institutional policies
STUDY IMPLEMENTATION AND CLOSEOUT:
• Activate research study accounts in Epic
• Ensure study contact, budget and other information stays up to date in Epic
• Close research study accounts in Epic after all billing activities have ceased
• High school graduation or equivalent AND two years’ experience in medical or research billing OR equivalent education/experience
• Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, as well as Zoom and Adobe Acrobat
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Accuracy working with numeric and financial data
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Demonstrated customer service expertise
• Knowledge of basic office machines including PC, Zoom, multi-line phone, projector, copier, fax and scanner
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except where there are legal requirements such as license/certification/registration.
• Experience in patient registration, billing and/or accounting
• Experience in clinical research administration
• Experience with 1+ Epic modules, Cerner/ORCA, OnCore, nTHRIVE, My Financial Desktop, and UW Medicine eJV
• Experience or familiarity with ICD10 and CPT/HCPCS codes
• Proficiency in Microsoft Access, PowerPoint and Visio