Software Developer/Data Scientist (Temporary)
University of Washington Seattle, WA Full-time Information Services / Technology (IT)
Posted on May 19, 2020
|Department:||College of Engineering|
|Appointing Department Web Address:||https://www.engr.washington.edu/|
|Job Location:||Seattle Campus|
|Closing Info:||Open Until Filled|
|Salary:||Salary is Competitive. Salary is Commensurate Upon Qualifications and Experience.|
College of Engineering has an outstanding job opportunity for Temporary Part Time Software Developer/Data Scientist
The Software Developer/Data Scientist will assist with Waterhackweek activities, coding tasks, data analysis, data visualization, Github project management, trainings and communications.
Waterhackweek is a 5-day hackweek to be held at the University of Washington in partnership with the University of Washington eScience Institute.
The Software Developer/Data Scientist will work in a team environment that includes faculty, professional staff, data scientists, researchers, and other key hackweek stakeholders at the eScience Institute, and within the Freshwater Initiative.
Project work that may overlap with UW coursework or projects: the successful applicant will prototype a communication system (graph network or reuse of other code) where outcome will be a software tool used by the Cybertraining and Hackweek communities to coordinate and self-organize online and in-person to improve participants ability to network and find funding opportunities for projects emerging from the Hackweek.
The data scientist will work with the team to research existing tools (specifically Entrofy selection method workflows), interview community members (as part of NSF funded Education Evaluation), design and pitch proposals to the project team, and implement a prototype solution to test at the Hackweeks (Freshwater Connector).
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist with basic coding instruction in Python using Jupyter Notebooks
• Manage continuous integration of Github repositories
• Organize, conduct and participate in training events
• Delegate coding and Waterhackweek tasks to gradate and undergraduate volunteers and interns
• Develop and send out communications for developers and participants
• Provide technical assistance to other key stakeholders
• Perform related duties as required
• Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering, Data Science or related field.
• Minimum 3-12 months experience with computer programming (e.g. bash shell scripting, MATLAB, Python, R) or similar work.
• Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
• Well-honed organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities and timelines
• Ability to work with colleagues in a way that enhances collaboration and team building
• Master's degree
• Proficiency in statistical analysis software
The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Cover Letter, and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select “Apply to this position”. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your “My Jobs” page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.