Administrative Assistant 2
Administrative Assistant 2
About the University
Western Washington University, with over 16,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 90,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master's-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2022 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
About the Department
University Residences supports Western's mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
About the Position
Position offers outstanding customer service in a high-energy, fast paced, and dynamic work environment by providing problem resolution, front-line support, and reception for students, family member, staff, faculty, and the public. These duties require this position to exercise independent judgment within established parameters and to apply institutional policies, procedures, rules, and regulations in a matter consistent with Western’s and University Residence’s mission.
This Position also provides administrative assistance for the Residence Life central office staff, resident directors, assistant resident directors, 95 student resident advisors, 10 student executive staff in our RHA and NRHH student leadership groups, and additional support to resident hall council student executive boards as needed.
This position also maintains ongoing coordination with Residence Life staff, major administrative units within University Residences, and other campus departments to manage projects, schedules, meetings, and events using knowledge and experience specific to Residence Life program.
Coordinate Student Staff recruitment, selection, onboarding and off boarding
- Develop procedures to effectively and efficiently execute student staff selection and search processes, including paperwork, file, and list management
- Assist the ResTech team with web content to ensure the student staff site remains up to date
- Provide and coordinate support for the process for recruitment, selection, onboarding, and off boarding for over 100 students into specific student positions throughout the year
- Develop and implement day-of logistics and manage communication with candidates, interviewers and adjacent colleagues regarding interview day logistics to ensure an efficient and highly successful experience.
- Maintain hired and hirable pool databases including regular confirmation of candidate status, completion of onboarding components and training status
- Assemble, distribute, and ensure completion of new employee paperwork
- Monitor onboarding process
- Initiate request for permissions for a variety of software and access as part of the onboard process
- Audit to ensure work accuracy, thoroughness, and completeness
Provide Administrative Support to the Office Manager for Residence Life
- Provide excellent customer service in the following ways: Maintain a safe, welcoming and productive office environment; Provide initial response to all visitors to the office (e.g. potential and current students and family members, faculty and staff members, community members); Answer and respond to incoming telephone calls and emails regarding Residence Life programs and University Residence services; Provide information and refer visitors, callers and emails to other offices as needed.
- Type, print, and distribute correspondence, agendas, evaluations, and education materials composed and utilized by Residence Life staff and stakeholders.
- Update and revise various forms, documents, manuals, and interdepartmental publications.
- Support hall opening and closing procedures, including student communication, supply inventory, and some occupancy management activities, as needed.
- Attend multiple weekly business and staff meetings to record and distribute minutes
- Provide administrative support for evaluation processes for professional and student staff.
- Act as backup for the Office Manager for student payroll approval
- Attend departmental meetings and division meetings as required.
- Support the office manager in supervision and oversee the work of student office employees
- Create and maintain up-to-date online and paper office files, record and maintain statistical records and information. Assist in management of records retention schedule following state policies and procedures.
- Research and compile student information such as addresses, GPA’s, class schedules and demographics from student database for projects, searches and reports.
- Serve as primary resource for technology soft support (e.g. MS Office, Online databases, etc.) for central and residence hall staff
- Liaison for University Residences Web Development Team to update Residence Life webpage and online staff manuals and search sites as needed to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Create, update, and maintain technology permissions for Residence Life Staff
- Schedule use and monitor loan process of office equipment
- Reserve equipment from University Residences Technology staff and other University Departments such as ATUS (Academic Technology and User Services).
- Schedule and maintain calendar for University Residences conference rooms and vehicle usage for the Residence Life office. Schedule committee meetings, conduct proceedings and other meetings for central staff.
- Other duties as assigned. Act as liaison and backup for Office Manager in responding to P-Card and payroll questions.
- Provide information and explain University Residences policies and procedures as contained in the Residential Community Handbook to students, family members, staff, faculty, and community members.
- Provide policy information on in-hall poster distribution and mailbox distribution to residents. Schedule mail box distribution of approved posters.
Training Coordination, Support, and Facilitation
- Manage logistical arrangements for student professional and paraprofessional fall staff training in conjunction with Office Manager
- Manage logistical arrangements for move-in of up to 120 residence hall student staff in conjunction with Office Manager
- Provide administrative and computer software training to student professional and paraprofessional staff training in August and September. Provide additional training as needed throughout the year
- Assist in the training and development of student Resident Office Assistants (5-9 students) in September and during weekly meetings throughout the academic year in conjunction with Assignments Coordinator
- Support Office Manager in training and advising student leaders on a one-on-one basis for planning program activities.
Provide Administrative Support for the Simplicity Reporting System
- Run over 10 weekly reports in the Simplicity Reporting System to provide updated statuses on student resident conduct issues entered into the system by Resident Directors and Resident Advisors. Provide the weekly reports to Resident Directors for follow up and resolution
- Provide information on conduct appeals process to the Assistant Directors, Residence Life on an as-needed basis.
Provide administrative assistance during the Resident Director search process
- Assist the Office Manager and the Resident Director Search Team with administrative tasks related to the Resident Director search process.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Two years experience in administrative and/or student support roles or equivalent education and experience.
- Two years experience in a customer service and/or office reception setting.
- Proficient in MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Outlook).
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize deadlines, and juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously.
- Demonstrated ability to understand perspectives and experiences of multiple cultural and social identities.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to read and follow written and oral instructions and compose business correspondence.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student and departmental information.
- Comfortable working in a highly dynamic environment.
- Associates degree, BA/BS, or technical degree.
- Live-on experience at a higher education institution or experience in higher education housing support.
- Experience working with web content editing.
- Experience using WWIS Banner Student Information System or similar database tool.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends, as required.
Conditions of Employment
All employees must comply with our Immunization policies, including COVID vaccination by time of hire and Proof of Rubeola Measles Immunity within 60-days of hire. Please reach out to HR@wwu.edu if you need information regarding medical or religious exemption and applicable accommodations.
$3,096 - $4,013/month depending on qualifications and experience
This position is part of bargaining unit A and is covered by the collective bargaining agreement with Washington Federation of State Employees.
Application materials should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications.
Closing Date Notes
Position closes 08/17/2022 at 11:55 pm.
Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. Women, minorities, people with disabilities and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, WWU does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment, admissions, and educational programs. See WWU’s Policy on Ensuring Equal Opportunity and Prohibiting Discrimination and Retaliation. Inquiries may be directed to the Office of Civil Rights and Title IX Compliance, Title IX and ADA Coordinator, Western Washington University, Old Main 345 (MS 9021), 516 High Street, Bellingham, WA 98225; 360.650.3307 (voice) or 711 (Washington Relay); email@example.com
WWU is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request this document in an alternate format or to request an accommodation, please contact Human Resources Disability Services, 360.650.3303 or 711 (Washington Relay).
Annual Security and Fire Safety Report: This report is provided pursuant to the Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act ("The Clery Act"). It includes statistics for the previous three calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on Western's campus; in certain off-campus buildings or property owned or controlled by Western; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. The report also includes institutional policies concerning campus security, such as policies concerning alcohol and drug use, crime prevention, the reporting of crimes, sexual assault, and other matters. You can obtain a copy of this report in printed or alternate formats by contacting the Office of the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Services at firstname.lastname@example.org. The report can be found at: Annual Security and Fire Safety Report.
All new employees must comply with the immunization policy and show employment eligibility verification as required by the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service before beginning work at WWU. A thorough background check will be conducted on all new hires which includes a sexual misconduct background check.